Featuring an easy homemade olive hummus, these wraps are an easy and delicious lunch for home, school, or work. If you want to enjoy hummus often, consider making it yourself, provided that you have a food processor.
Hummus is more cost-effective to make yourself. Most hummus containers are 10 ounces — barely over a cup — and for a household of hummus fans, that can go very quickly.
So many ways to vary homemade hummus: One of the best things about homemade hummus is that you can vary it in so many ways. Even though it’s great straight up, each time I make it, I add an extra ingredient to the basic formula. Get some great ideas in Homemade Hummus, 12 Easy and Delicious Ways.
Olive hummus contrasts so nicely with the mellow avocado in these easy and delectable wraps; some other iterations of homemade hummus can include roasted red pepper, sun-dried tomatoes, or herbs. Just like in the store-bought varieties, but fresher and cheaper. These work well in wraps, too.
- 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup tahini (sesame paste)
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, crushed, optional (or sauté until golden)
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup cured black or green olives, or a combination
- 4 large wraps, preferably whole grain (see note)
- A big handful of baby spinach, arugula, or power greens per wrap 1 large firm tomato
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- Combine all the ingredients for the olive hummus — except the olives — in a food processor. Process until smoothly pureed.
- Add the olives and pulse on and off until they’re finely chopped. Be careful not to overdo!
- To assemble the wraps: Lay a wrap on a large plate. or cutting board. Spread 1/2 cup of the hummus over the surface.
- Arrange a handful of greens, a few slices of avocado, and a few slices of tomato down the center of each wrap, over the hummus.
- Tuck two sides of the wrap over the vegetables, then roll up snugly. Cut in half with a sharp knife.
- Repeat as needed. As mentioned in the headnote, you can stop at one or two wraps, or make all four. Enjoy at once, or pack into a crush-proof container to transport to school or work.
If you like these easy olive hummus wraps, you might also enjoy …