Based on frozen bananas, this is peach mint smoothie is a delicious and refreshing midsummer beverage. Any kind of peach recipe truly requires excellent fruit, preferably grown in or near the area where you live and shop.
While a neighbor’s tree is ideal, you have to be really lucky for that happenstance (why not your own tree? Because then you’d have to take care of it and worry about it). Barring that, local farm markets are the next best thing.
What happens if you use peaches that travel a long way to market is that they’re picked unripe and hard as rocks. Then, they sit on a truck for who knows how long. Once they’re ripe enough to use, they often have little flavor or go from rock hard to mush.
Back to this simple smoothie — I had some frozen bananas, and thought that if I added a few juicy, ripe peaches to them in the blender it would make a delicious ice cream. But instead it all liquified. I added some mint extract as well as fresh mint — so actually this is double-mint, and wound up with a refreshing beverage.
Next time, I’ll also freeze chunks of peaches and see if I can achieve an ice cream texture. And of course, nectarines can be used in place of peaches. To make this, you’ll need two very ripe bananas and plan to freeze them ahead of time.
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 3 medium very ripe, juicy peaches or nectarines
- 1/4 cup plant-based vanilla creamer (coconut is delicious in this)
- 1 cup orange juice or tropical juice blend
- A few fresh mint leaves, plus small sprigs for garnish
- 2 or more drops mint extract, to taste
- Peel the bananas and cut into 1/4-inch-thick sliced. Place in a covered container and freeze for several hours or overnight.
- Pit the peaches and cut into chunks
- Combine the frozen bananas with the creamer, juice, fresh mint, and 2 drops of mint extract in a blender. Blend until smooth. Taste to see if you’d like another hint of mint, and if so, add another drop or two of extract. Blend briefly.
- Divide between two or three glasses and serve.
If you like peach smoothies, you might also enjoy …
- See lots more refreshing beverages.