What’s more cooling than cucumber? Maybe watermelon. Put the two together and you have an incredibly refreshing watermelon cucumber drink.
Watermelon is my favorite summer fruit, and cucumber is one of my favorite summer vegetables (too many to choose from), so combining the two in this beverage is amazing. With a hint of mint and ginger, it’s a blissful way to stay hydrated.
In the U.S., July is National Watermelon Month, unsurprisingly! And that’s also when it’s at its best and cheapest, so eat plenty.
Both watermelon and cucumber are so watery, in fact, that you need not add much if any extra liquid when you blend them. A high-speed blender makes this really smooth but any regular blender will do.
I find this sweet enough using summer’s sugar-sweet watermelon, but if you think it needs a sweetness boost, use a few drops of liquid stevia or your favorite liquid sweetener.
- 4 heaping cups peeled watermelon chunks
- 1 smallish medium cucumber, peeled
- A few mint leaves or a couple of drops mint extract
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh or jarred ginger
- Juice of 1/2 to 1 lime, to taste
- 1/2 cup deep red juice like pomegranate, optional
- Combine the ingredients in a blender. The deep red juice is for giving the beverage a brighter pink color, but honestly, it’s more for appearance than taste. Otherwise, it’s kind of a muted pink that's kind of nice, too.
- Blend until thoroughly smooth. Pour into a quart container or distribute between glasses. Serve at once over ice or chill in the refrigerator until needed.
For an even more bracing beverage, add a tablespoon or two of organic raw apple cider vinegar
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 171Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 61mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 4gSugar: 32gProtein: 0g
Nutrition data is always an estimate depending on program used to calculate and exact products used. This is given for informational purposes only and accuracy cannot be guaranteed.
If you like this watermelon cucumber drink, you might also enjoy …