Here’s a delicious twist on traditional gazpacho. Corn and yellow tomato gazpacho combines two midsummer vegetables at the peak of their flavor to create a beautiful golden cold soup. Red cherry tomatoes add to the colorful herbal garnish. This is a cherry tomato soup recipe that will refresh you on a warm summer day.
A sauté of onion and garlic adds to the depth of flavor of this soup. Once chilled, the velvety-textured puree of corn and golden cherry tomatoes is embellished with with a topping of reserved corn and tomatoes, plus fresh herbs and optional jalapeño.
Though this naturally plant-based golden gazpacho is an impressive first course for company meals, you need not wait until you have guests to make this easy soup, especially if you have a surplus of yellow tomatoes.
Complete the meal: This soup is a perfect midsummer first course or accompaniment to almost any kind of meal. Serve with grilled vegetables, pasta salads, vegan sandwiches, veggie burgers, or wraps. Here are a few great pairings:
- Vegan Hero Sandwiches with Fresh Herb Mayonnaise
- Triple-BBQ Pulled Jackfruit & Plant Protein Sandwiches
- Vegan Black Bean Burgers
- Pan-Grilled Polenta with Spinach and Black Beans
If you enjoy chilled soups, you’ll love this roundup of naturally vegan cold soups, which includes lots of gazpacho variations.
Explore dozens of fresh corn recipes for summer and fall.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large or 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 cups fresh corn kernels, cut off the cob, 1 cup reserved
- 2 pints yellow cherry tomatoes, 1 cup reserved
- Juice of 1 lemon, or to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- The reserved corn kernels (lightly steamed if desired0
- The reserved yellow cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup red cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced
- Basil or cilantro leaves (sliced or chopped if large)
- 1/2 cup finely diced cucumber, optional
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, optional
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and thinly sliced, optional
- Heat the oil in a wide skillet or stir-fry pan. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until translucent. Add the garlic and continue to sauté until both are golden and the onion is just beginning to brown, stirring often.
- Add 3 cups of the corn kernels to the skillet along with about 1/4 cup water. Cover and cook until the corn is just tender-crisp, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the onion, garlic, and corn mixture to a blender along with the tomatoes (make sure to reserve 1 cup of them). Add about 1 cup water and blend until smooth.
- Transfer the puree to a serving container. Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate the puree for several hours or until chilled to your liking, at least 2 hours. The soup will likely thicken; add a little more water if need be to give it a medium-thick consistency. Add more lemon juice if you’d like, and taste for salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, combine the reserved corn kernels, reserved cherry tomatoes, red cherry tomatoes, and fresh herbs in a small bowl. Add any of the optional garnish ingredients being used and toss together.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, top each with some of the garnish, and enjoy!
If you like an offbeat gazpacho, you may enjoy …
Explore lots more delicious vegan soups & stews.