This vegan triple BBQ pulled jackfruit sandwich solves the dilemma of delivering this intriguing meat substitute with more main-dish protein content.
Here’s the thing about jackfruit: It’s touted as an alternative to pulled meat, and of course, any product that takes the place of meat is a good thing. But it’s not a good protein source. Even a serving of broccoli has about 4 grams of protein, whereas a serving of jackfruit has about 2 grams.
How to boost protein: So, what to do if you want to create that kind of pulled texture, but want more protein and heartiness? Just add a plant protein like baked tofu, seitan, or vegan chick’n, cut into short thin pieces or shreds to more or less match the jackfruit.
A trio of BBQ flavors in a pulled jackfruit sandwich
The triple BBQ flavor come from the prepared barbecue-flavored variety of jackfruit (the brands that are easiest to find are from The Jackfruit Company and Upton’s), your favorite prepared or homemade barbecue sauce, and barbecue seasoning blend, which always does wonders to create what I call a “flavor bomb.”
It’s already a tradition to pair the barbecue-flavored heartiness of this sandwich with coleslaw, which serves as a creamy foil to its flavor.
You’ll find lots more recipes like this using today’ amazing meat alternatives in Plant-Powered Protein by Nava Atlas. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky, BittersweetBlog.com.
- 2 cups thinly shredded cabbage or precut coleslaw
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup cooked fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels, well drained
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Splash of lemon juice
- 6 to 8 ounces plant protein (baked tofu, seitan, vegan chick’n, etc.)
- 10-ounce package BBQ Jackfruit (The Jackfruit Company or Upton’s)
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce, homemade (see link in Notes) your favorite variety
- 2 teaspoons BBQ seasoning blend
- 6 whole-grain rolls or hamburger buns
- Combine the ingredients for the corn slaw in in a mixing bowl and stir until well blended. Set aside.
- Whatever type of plant protein you’re using, you can cut it into short, fine shreds by hand, or run it through the grating blade of a food processor. Baked tofu is easy to grate with a box grater. You may also want to break up pieces of the jackfruit it’s in large clumps; lightly mash with a fork and it will flake nicely.
- Combine the shredded plant protein, jackfruit, barbecue sauce, and BBQ seasoning blend in a medium skillet. Cook over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the sauce envelopes the mixture nicely and is sizzling hot.
- Distribute the jackfruit mixture between the bottoms of the rolls, then divide the coleslaw evenly over it. Don’t worry if there’s too much slaw; you can always eat in just as is as a side salad.
- Cover with the tops of the rolls and serve at once.
If you'd like to DIY, here's our Easy No-Cook Barbecue Sauce.
If you like this BBQ-flavored pulled protein sandwich, you might also enjoy …
Here are lots more enticing vegan recipes featuring jackfruit