Jazzy Vegetarian Laura Theodore contributed this hearty, super-easy vegan black bean burger recipe. Just 5 ingredients! Serve with your favorite companions such as lettuce, tomatoes, whole-grain buns or English muffins, and oven fries.
Laura says, “My husband always complained that I did not make our veggie burgers BIG enough! So the ‘Hungry Guy’ burger was born. Packed with hearty black beans, spicy salsa and rolled oats, these five-ingredient wonders are filling and super-quick to prepare. Now everyone’s happy!”
Recipe from Laura Theodore’s Vegan-Ease: An Easy Guide to Enjoying a Plant-Based Diet © 2015 Laura Theodore. Reprinted by permission. Photos by Annie Oliverio
Laura Theodore’s Vegan-Ease is available wherever books are sold
or directly from Laura Theodore (signed copies!)
- 15-ounces can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2⁄3 cup plus 2 heaping tablespoons prepared salsa, plus more as needed (see note)
- 3 slices whole-grain bread, torn into chunks
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2⁄3 cup rolled oats
- Preheat the oven to 375º F. Line a large, rimmed baking pan with unbleached parchment paper.
- Put the black beans and salsa in a medium-sized bowl and mash using a potato masher or large fork until well combined.
- Put the bread chunks and cumin in a blender or food processor and process into coarse crumbs. Add the bread crumbs to the black bean mixture and stir to combine.
- Stir in the rolled oats and mix to combine. If the mixture seems dry, stir in another heaping tablespoon of salsa and mix to combine.
- Scoop up a generous 1⁄2 cup of the black bean mixture and put it on the prepared pan. Form it into a burger, shaping it with clean hands, then flattening it slightly. Continue in this manner to make five more burgers (see note).
- Bake for 20 minutes. Flip the burgers and bake for 8 to 12 minutes, or until golden.
You may use mild, medium or hot salsa in this recipe.
Once formed, the burgers may be covered and refrigerated for 2 to 6 hours before cooking. Add 5 to 7 minutes to the baking time.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 169Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 351mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 8gSugar: 1gProtein: 10g
Nutrition data is always an estimate depending on program used to calculate and exact products used.
Laura Theodore is a recognized public television personality, 3-time TASTE award winning vegan chef, cookbook author, restaurateur and award-winning recording artist. Tune in for Laura’s vegan television show, Jazzy Vegetarian, airing nationally on the Create Network every Monday and Friday at 8am and 2pm EST (check local listings).
Listen to Laura’s weekly podcast on Unity Radio every Thursday at 3pm EST. Tune in for Season Eight of Laura’s vegan television show, Jazzy Vegetarian, airing nationally on many public television channels (check local listings). Visit Laura at Jazzy Vegetarian.
If you like this hearty meal on a bun, you might also enjoy …
And if you like black beans, please explore …
See more easy vegan sandwiches & wraps.