Jazzy Vegetarian Laura Theodore says of these hearty and super-easy vegan black bean burgers: “My husband always complained that I did not make our veggie burgers BIG enough! So the “Hungry Guy” burger was born. Packed with hearty black beans, spicy salsa and rolled oats, these five-ingredient wonders are filling and super-quick to prepare. Now everyone’s happy!”
Serve with your favorite condiments and accompaniments — lettuce, tomatoes, whole-grain buns or English muffins, and oven fries. Recipe from Laura Theodore’s Vegan-Ease: An Easy Guide to Enjoying a Plant-Based Diet © 2015 Laura Theodore. Reprinted by permission.
- 15-ounces can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2⁄3 cup plus 2 heaping tablespoons prepared salsa, plus more as needed (see note)
- 3 slices whole-grain bread, torn into chunks
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2⁄3 cup rolled oats
- Preheat the oven to 375º F. Line a large, rimmed baking pan with unbleached parchment paper.
- Put the black beans and salsa in a medium-sized bowl and mash using a potato masher or large fork until well combined.
- Put the bread chunks and cumin in a blender or food processor and process into coarse crumbs. Add the bread crumbs to the black bean mixture and stir to combine.
- Stir in the rolled oats and mix to combine. If the mixture seems dry, stir in another heaping tablespoon of salsa and mix to combine.
- Scoop up a generous 1⁄2 cup of the black bean mixture and put it on the prepared pan. Form it into a burger, shaping it with clean hands, then flattening it slightly. Continue in this manner to make five more burgers (see note).
- Bake for 20 minutes. Flip the burgers and bake for 8 to 12 minutes, or until golden.
You may use mild, medium or hot salsa in this recipe.
Once formed, the burgers may be covered and refrigerated for 2 to 6 hours before cooking. Add 5 to 7 minutes to the baking time.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 169 Total Fat: 2g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 351mg Carbohydrates: 30g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 1g Protein: 10g
Photos by Annie Oliverio
Laura Theodore is a recognized public television personality, 3-time TASTE award winning vegan chef, cookbook author, restaurateur and award-winning recording artist. Tune in for Season Seven of Laura’s vegan television show, Jazzy Vegetarian, airing nationally on the Create Network every Monday and Friday at 8am and 2pm EST (check local listings). Visit Laura on the web at Jazzy Vegetarian.
Laura Theodore’s Vegan-Ease: An Easy Guide to Enjoying a Plant-Based Diet
is available on Amazon and wherever books are sold
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this site receives a modest commission, which helps maintain it and keeps it growing!