This simple-to-assemble vegan oat and blueberry breakfast cake makes a satisfying and deliciously sweet breakfast treat any day of the week.
With a minimum of ingredients that pack a lot of flavor, you can bake this the night before and wake up to this lovely breakfast cake that goes well with coffee, tea, or nondairy milk.
Bonus: It doubles as a filling afternoon snack cake or wholesome any time dessert. Recipe from Laura Theodore’s Vegan-Ease: An Easy Guide to Enjoying a Plant-Based Diet © 2015 Laura Theodore. Reprinted by permission.
- 3 medium bananas
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup toasted or raw wheat germ
- 1/2 cup blueberry preserves (see note)
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 375º F. Line the bottom of a 9-inch round cake pan with unbleached parchment paper.
- Put the bananas and maple syrup in a large bowl and mash into a chunky purée using a potato masher or large fork. Add the oats, raisins and wheat germ; stir thoroughly to combine.
- Spread half of the oat mixture in an even layer in the prepared pan. Spread the blueberry preserves in an even layer over the oat mixture.
- Sprinkle the chopped walnuts evenly over the preserves.
- Spread the remaining oat mixture in an even layer over the walnuts and preserves. Bake for 30 to 32 minutes, until slightly golden.
- Put the pan on a wire rack and loosen the sides of the cake with a knife. Let cool 15 to 20 minutes (see note). After cooling the cake, invert it onto a wire rack and gently peel off the parchment paper. Carefully flip the cake, topside up, onto a decorative platter for serving.
- Cut into 6 wedges to serve.
You may use apricot, blueberry or strawberry preserves in place of the raspberry variety.
After cooling the cake, invert it onto a wire rack and gently peel off the parchment paper. Carefully flip the cake, topside up, onto a decorative platter for serving.
Stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, leftover cake will keep for 3 days.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 329Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 65mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 6gSugar: 35gProtein: 7g
Nutrition data is always an estimate depending on program used to calculate and exact products used.
Laura Theodore’s Vegan-Ease: An Easy Guide to Enjoying a Plant-Based Diet
is available on Amazon* and wherever books are sold
Listen to Laura’s weekly podcast on Unity Radio every Thursday at 3pm EST. Tune in for Season Eight of Laura’s vegan television show, Jazzy Vegetarian, airing nationally on many public television channels (check local listings). Visit Laura at Jazzy Vegetarian.
*This is an Amazon Affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this site receives a modest commission, which helps maintain it and keeps it growing!