One of my long-time favorites, this easy recipe of pan-grilled polenta is topped with a colorful combination of black beans, roasted red pepper, and spinach.
Using prepared polenta is a nifty way to add variety to the dinner repertoire. As a main dish, this simple preparation is light and satisfying, and can also be served as a hearty warm appetizer.
Complete the meal: Serve with a simple green salad using whatever you’ve got on hand. For a bigger meal, add some baked or microwaved potatoes or sweet potatoes.
Recipe adapted from 5-Ingredient Vegan: 175 Simple, Plant-Based Recipes for Delicious Meals in Minutes by Nava Atlas (Sterling Publishing, Inc). Photos by Hannah Kaminsky, BittersweetBlog.com.
- 18-ounce tube polenta
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 roasted red pepper (from a jar or the supermarket olive bar), drained and cut into short strips
- 4 to 5 ounces baby spinach, rinsed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cut the polenta into 12 even slices, each about 1/2 inch thick.
- Use a little cooking oil spray or olive oil to lightly coat a wide nonstick skillet or griddle. Arrange the polenta slices on the surface. Cook over medium-high heat until golden and crisp, about 8 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a medium skillet or stir-fry pan. Add the garlic and sauté over low heat for a minute or so, just until golden.
- Add the beans and roasted pepper. Stir together and cook over medium heat until well heated through.
- Add the spinach, cover, and cook until just wilts, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir the mixture together, season with pepper, and remove from the heat.
- To serve, arrange 3 or 4 polenta slices on each plate and spoon the bean mixture evenly over each serving.
If you like this recipe using prepared polenta, you might also enjoy …
See lots more easy vegan main dishes.