One of my long-time favorites, this easy recipe of pan-grilled polenta is topped with a colorful combination of black beans, roasted red pepper, and spinach.
Using prepared polenta is a nifty way to add variety to the dinner repertoire. As a main dish, this simple preparation is light and satisfying, and can also be served as a hearty warm appetizer.
Complete the meal: Serve with a simple green salad using whatever you’ve got on hand. For a bigger meal, add some baked or microwaved potatoes or sweet potatoes.
Recipe adapted from 5-Ingredient Vegan: 175 Simple, Plant-Based Recipes for Delicious Meals in Minutes by Nava Atlas (Sterling Publishing, Inc). Photos by Hannah Kaminsky, BittersweetBlog.com.
- 18-ounce tube polenta
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 roasted red pepper (from a jar or the supermarket olive bar), drained and cut into short strips
- 4 to 5 ounces baby spinach, rinsed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cut the polenta into 12 even slices, each about 1/2 inch thick.
- Use a little cooking oil spray or olive oil to lightly coat a wide nonstick skillet or griddle. Arrange the polenta slices on the surface. Cook over medium-high heat until golden and crisp, about 8 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a medium skillet or stir-fry pan. Add the garlic and sauté over low heat for a minute or so, just until golden.
- Add the beans and roasted pepper. Stir together and cook over medium heat until well heated through.
- Add the spinach, cover, and cook until just wilts, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir the mixture together, season with pepper, and remove from the heat.
- To serve, arrange 3 or 4 polenta slices on each plate and spoon the bean mixture evenly over each serving.
Photos of Polenta with Black Beans and Spinach by Hannah Kaminsky
If you like this recipe using prepared polenta, you might also enjoy …
See lots more easy vegan main dishes.