If you have a day-old Italian bread and/or a houseful of guests, this easy vegan French toast casserole is an easy route to a fantastic breakfast or brunch.
For a houseful of weekend guests, let’s assume that everyone (other than the gluten-free crowd) will be all in on vegan French toast. Or maybe you have a big, breakfast-loving household of your own made up of family or roommates.
This generous casserole eliminates the hassle of dipping and frying and keeping slices warm — everything’s done at the same time, and everyone can dig in at once.
Chickpea flour makes an egg-like batter, and the whole thing bakes to a golden goodness that’s as sensuous as the original, topped with granola, cinnamon, and fresh fruit.
Recipe adapted from Vegan on a Budget: 125 Healthy, Wallet-Friendly Plant-Based Recipes by Nava Atlas. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
- 1 cup chickpea (garbanzo) flour
- 2 cups unsweetened nondairy milk (plain or vanilla)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup, plus more for individual servings
- 2 tablespoons melted vegan butter
- 1 average-size French or Italian bread, preferably day-old, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Fresh fruit of your choice (see options in Notes)
- 1/2 cup granola
- Cinnamon for topping
- Preheat the oven to 375º F.
- Combine the chickpea flour with the nondairy milk and whisk together until smooth. Stir in the syrup and melted vegan butter.
- Place the cubed bread in a large mixing bowl. Pour the chickpea flour mixture in and stir quickly to coat. Let stand for a few minutes to absorb some of the liquid.
- Transfer the mixture into an oiled baking dish, about 9 by 13 inches, and pat in evenly. Top with granola and a sprinkling of cinnamon.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the top begins to turn golden and crusty. Remove from the oven and top as desired with fresh fruit. Cut into squares to serve and pass around extra maple syrup.
Here are your fresh fruit options. Combine any two of the following:
- 1 peeled and sliced banana
- 1 medium peeled and sliced apple
- 1 medium sliced pear
- 1 cup hulled and sliced strawberries
- 2 medium sliced peaches or nectarines
- 1 cup whole blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries
Here are lots more vegan breakfast & brunch recipes.