Quick and colorful, this tofu vegetable ramen soup will please anyone who loves Asian flavors. Simple to make and naturally vegan, it’s ready to eat in no time.
Preferably, use the kind of ramen that comes without seasoning, sometimes labeled chukka soba. If there’s a seasoning packet that comes with it, feel free to use it if the ingredients are plant-based and natural. If not, discard.
Ramen noodles drink up the broth like crazy, so add more as needed and adjust the seasonings. The basic recipe as written has you just toss all the vegetables into the soup pot once the noodles are done, but if you’d like to arrange the veggies and tofu in the soup in this neat way, as shown in the photos, steam them in a wide skillet in adjacent mounds, then arrange on the surface of the soup after ladling out.
Complete the meal: For a light meal, serve with vegetable spring rolls and leave room for a dessert of your choice! For a heartier meal, follow this soup with a vegetable stir-fry served with rice.
Photos by Hannah Kaminsky, BittersweetBlog.com.
- 32-ounce container low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 15-ounce can cut baby corn, with liquid
- 5-ounce package ramen noodles (chuka soba), broken into several pieces
- 7 to 8 ounces firm or extra-firm tofu (about 1/2 tub), drained and cut into small dice
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, cut into short narrow strips
- 1 cup snow peas or snap peas, trimmed and cut in half
- A big handful of baby spinach or arugula leaves
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, or more, to taste
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh or squeeze-bottle ginger
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine the broth, water, and baby corn with liquid in a small soup pot. Bring to a slow boil, then add the ramen. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer until the ramen are al dente, about 5 minutes or according to package directions.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients, cover, and let stand off the heat for 5 minutes or so, just until the vegetables are tender-crisp. The noodles absorb the liquid like crazy, so if need be, add more water and adjust the seasonings before serving.
- Alternatively, if you’d like to arrange the soup as shown in the photos, steam the the vegetables and tofu in a wide skillet, until just hot, then arrange in separate piles on the soup’s surface once you ladle it out.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 284Total Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 361mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 29g
Nutrition data is always an estimate depending on program used to calculate and exact products used. This is given for informational purposes only and accuracy cannot be guaranteed.
If you like this easy Asian-style soup, you might also enjoy …
Here are more delicious vegan soups & stews.