Soul Fire Farm’s bounty makes its way into lots of produce-centered recipes like this colorful fiesta chopped salad, which can be enjoyed almost any time of year using favorite vegetables. Naturally vegan, it goes with almost any kind of meal.
This simple and tasty salad goes with just about any kind of meal and despite the chopping, takes minutes to prepare. Feel free to substitute any other crisp fresh vegetables you may have on hand.
This salad is a colorful medley of vegetables designed to use a mid-to-late-summer garden or farm market bounty, but it can be made year-round. It includes the following vegetables and dressed in a simple homemade vinaigrette:
- Red bell pepper
- Yellow bell pepper
Located in Grafton, New York, Soul Fire Farm seeks to remedy the unjust and unequal food system that exists in the U.S. As a brief introduction to Soul Fire Farm from their website:
“Soul Fire Farm is a BIPOC*-centered community farm committed to ending racism and injustice in the food system. We raise and distribute life-giving food as a means to end food apartheid. With deep reverence for the land and wisdom of our ancestors, we work to reclaim our collective right to belong to the earth and to have agency in the food system.” (*Black, Indigenous, & People of Color)
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cauliflower
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1 small zucchini (or 1/2 medium), chopped
- 2 scallions (green onions), chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine the salad ingredients.
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper; shake well. Drizzle over vegetables and toss to coat.
- Toss avocado with lemon juice; sprinkle over salad. Serve at once with with a slotted spoon.
If you like this simple year-round salad, you may also enjoy …
Here are more easy vegan salads & sides.