This luscious vegan 7-layer bean dip is the perfect dish for any party! Make sure to serve it with plenty of chips because it disappears quickly. It’s a fantastic appetizer for game days, casual company gatherings, and Cinco de Mayo.
Thanks to Vegan Mexican Food for permission to share this recipe by Christine Garcia, in conjunction with Food Empowerment Project, a vegan food justice organization founded in 2007.
It’s been truly amazing to see the growth of the vegan movement and to have crossed paths or learned about the movers and shakers who have dedicated so much to it.
I encourage you to learn more about Food Empowerment Project! But like all of us who see veganism as a social justice cause, FEP is all in on the delicious food we get to enjoy, and to that end, presents a beautiful sister site, Vegan Mexican Food. FEP and VMF has kindly allowed The Vegan Atlas to share one of its yummy recipes.
For this 7-layer bean dip, what needs to be veganized from the original recipe are two simple swaps — vegan sour cream and vegan cheese shreds in place of the dairy varieties. Look for them in your supermarket or natural foods store. It’s just as good flavor-wise, and better for you and for the earth.
Photos by Hannah Kaminsky, Bittersweetblog.com.
- See lots more savory olive recipes.
- Enjoy more delicious and easy vegan dips & spreads.
- Here are dozens more vegan avocado recipes.
- Here are lots more vegan Tex-Mex recipes your family will love.
Fiesta Vegan 7-Layer Bean Dip
Luscious fiesta vegan 7-layer bean dip is a fantastic appetizer for any party!
- 8-ounce container vegan sour cream
- 4-ounce can sliced jalapeños (or chopped mild chiles for milder flavor)
- 15- to 16-ounce can vegan refried beans
- 1-ounce package taco seasoning mix
- 1 cup grated vegan cheese
- 2 avocados, mashed, or your favorite prepared or homemade guacamole
- 1 cup salsa, your favorite variety
- 3/4 cup or so diced tomatoes
- 4-ounce can sliced black olives (or about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- Sliced fresh (seeded sliced) jalapeño or other chile pepper, optional
- In a medium-size bowl, stir the vegan sour cream and jalapeños together (set aside a small amount of jalapeños for garnish if you'd like). Set aside.
- Heat the beans in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in taco seasoning and continue to cook until piping hot.
- In a shallow, steep-sided serving container, spread the bean mixture about 1/2 inch thick.
- Sprinkle the grated vegan cheese over the hot beans (this will help it melt).
- Follow this by layering on the mashed avocado, salsa, tomatoes, olives, and scallions. If you'd like, set aside a small amount of the olives and/or scallions for topping.
- Spoon on the vegan sour cream/jalapeño mixture. Finally, you can top with olives and/or scallions, if you’d like. Additional avocado slices can also be placed on top. Or, finish with extra jalapeño slices as shown.
- Serve immediately with tortilla chips and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 158Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 580mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 5g
Nutrition data is always an estimate and depends on program used to calculate and specific products used.
If you like this 7-layer dip, you might also enjoy …
Here are more tasty vegan appetizers & snacks
Leave a Reply