This vegan hot bean dip really is crazy-easy — you can enjoy it in 10 minutes total for a filling snack, instant appetizer, or an offbeat lunch served with tortilla chips and fresh fruit.
Last minute company is coming — you need an appetizer and you need it now. Or, you’ve been asked to bring something to share for a game-watching thingy or whatever it is sports fans do. Or, your growing teens need some sustenance after school. Or — you just want a fun and fast snack to have with your cerveza.
For any of these scenarios and others, this crazy-easy vegan hot bean dip is the perfect solution.
Basically a blend of refried beans, salsa, and a small amount of vegan cheese, serve with tortilla chips and watch it disappear. It’s also a great way to bolster a lighter main dish. For instance, you can pair it with Salsa Pasta Salad with Avocado, Corn, and Peppers. Though both contain salsa, the flavors are compatible rather than redundant.
BBQ seasoning is my secret ingredient in this dip; it adds a lively flavor twist that I find more interesting than cumin or chili powder.
Make it mild, medium, or hot by using the various heat varieties of refried beans, salsa, and even the vegan cheese — pepper jack would be a good choice for this if you like more spice. Ready in 10 to 15 minutes, this is an anytime appetizer/snack you’ll be glad to have in your repertoire.
Make your own tortilla chips
It’s easy to make your own tortilla chips if you want them to be more restaurant style, without all the salt and/or added fat of the store-bought variety.
Simply cut a few fresh corn tortillas into wedges with kitchen shears and arrange in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. The better quality the corn tortillas, the tastier your chips will be.
Bake at 350ºF for 8 to 10 minutes, then carefully flip and bake for an additional 8 to 10 minutes, or until dry and crisp. Remove from the oven and let cool before transferring to a serving bowl.
Explore more …
- 15-ounce can vegan refried beans (mild or spicy, as you prefer)
- 1 cup salsa, your favorite variety
- Juice of 1/2 lime or lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon barbecue seasoning (like mesquite or smoky maple)
- 1 cup vegan cheese shreds (any variety)
- Sliced jalapeño, Fresno, or other chile peppers for garnish, optional
- Tortilla chips for serving
- Combine the refried beans, salsa, lime juice, and barbecue seasoning in a saucepan.
- Set on medium heat, and as the mixture warms up, stir together. If the refried beans are too dense, add a little water.
- Once the mixture is piping hot, transfer half to a serving bowl and sprinkle on half of the cheese. Repeat with the next layer. If the cheese isn’t melted enough, warm in the microwave for about 20 seconds.
- Garnish with a few slices of chile pepper if you’d like, and serve right away with tortilla chips.
If you enjoy this bean dip, you might also enjoy …
See more easy vegan appetizers & snacks.