A straightforward spring vegetable soup featuring potatoes, carrots, and peas in a light, mildly seasoned broth, this is a light first course for an everyday or festive spring meal.
Because the soup is so simple, you’ll want to make sure that the broth is flavorful. I don’t usually call for both broth and bouillon cubes as I do here, but used in tandem they give the soup the extra boost it needs. And make sure not to be shy (yet not overly extravagant) with salt.
The nice thing about this soup is that it features vegetables that are common, inexpensive, and available all year round.
You may have all the ingredients on hand, with the possible exception of leeks. I usually buy them if they’re needed for a specific recipe (like this one!). If you can’t find them or don’t care to use them, you can substitute a large onion.
Serve with fresh crusty bread. Adapted from Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons by Nava Atlas.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large or 2 medium leeks, white parts only, halved lengthwise, sliced, and well rinsed
- 2 medium celery stalks, diced
- 32-ounce carton vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 vegetable or vegan “chick’n” bouillon cubes
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups frozen green peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or a handful of baby spinach leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, optional
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the leeks and celery, and sauté over medium heat until the leeks are limp, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the broth, water, bouillon cubes, potatoes, and carrots. Bring to a slow boil, then lower the heat. Cover and simmer gently for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, peas, and parsley. Cook over very low heat for 6 to 7 minutes longer. Make sure the peas and parsley stay nice and green. If the soup seems crowded, add another cup or so of water and heat through.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve at once. If you’re making this soup ahead of time, hold off on adding the peas and parsley. Once the soup reheated, add the peas and parsley.
Photos: Nata Bene/ Bigstock
If you like this easy vegetable soup, you might also enjoy …
Here are more vegan soups & stews.