Spinach and berries salad is a summer classic. It’s a beautiful cold dish that’s a snap to make at the height of berry season with the best summer berries: blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, or raspberries, or a combination of any two or three.
Ingredients for spinach and berries salad
- Blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, or strawberries (1 pint, or better yet, a combination)
- Baby spinach (2 to 3 ounces)
- Nuts (toasted almonds, walnuts, pecans, or pistachios, or a combination; you’ll need 1/3 to 1/2 cup)
- Sunflower or pumpkin seeds (you’ll need 2 tablespoon)
- Red onion
- Yellow cherry or grape tomatoes (you’ll need 1 cup)
- Red or green cabbage (optional, a small amount)
- Lemon, 1, or bottled lemon juice
From the pantry
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil, or as desired
Though spinach is the most traditional type of leafy green used in this salad, feel free to swap in baby arugula, baby kale, baby power greens, or spring mix for all or part of the spinach. See more in our Guide to Baby Greens.
What to serve with spinach and berries salad
This gorgeous salad adds a splash of color (and lots of antioxidants) to the summer plate. It’s especially nice served with grilled plant proteins (tofu, tempeh, and seitan) and vegetables. Or it can be served as a side-by-side dish with main dish salads such as:
- Quinoa & Red Bean Salad with Mini Sweet Peppers
- Vegan Cobb Salad
- Pasta Salad with Quinoa & Corn
- Peanut Satay Soba Noodles with Cucumber
Explore more baby spinach recipes.
Classic Summer Spinach and Berries Salad
Spinach and berries salad is a summer classic — it’s a beautiful cold dish that’s a snap to make.
- 1 pint blueberries, blackberries, or raspberries, strawberries, or a combination
- 2 to 3 ounces baby spinach
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup toasted nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans, or pistachios, or a combination), whole or coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- 1 cup red or yellow cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup sliced red or green cabbage, optional
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, or as desired
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, or more, to taste
- Rinse the berries and let them drain completely. Blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries can be used whole; remove hulls from strawberries and cut in half if small; slice if large.
- Combine the berries with the ingredients in a serving bowl and toss together. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve, or serve at once.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 134Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 37mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 4gSugar: 10gProtein: 3g
Nutrition data is always an estimate depending on program used to calculate and exact products used. This is given for informational purposes only and accuracy cannot be guaranteed.
If you like this summer salad with berries, you might also enjoy …
Mixed Greens Salad with Avocado & Blueberries
See lots more fresh salads & sides for all seasons.
Photos of spinach and berries salad: Saschanti/Bigstock; berries mix: Kitamin/Bigstock
Leave a Reply