The flavors in these vegan cranberry orange muffins are citrusy and naturally sweet, making a wholesome treat or snack for any time of day.
These moist muffins are welcome for breakfast or bunch, and are a great after-school or work snack. Yet they’re yummy enough to have for dessert, especially with the optional (yet highly recommended) maple-cream cheese frosting.
Don’t be tempted to skip the orange zest, since that’s what gives these muffins a distinctly orange flavor. If you don’t have a zester, which is basically a large file, you can use the fine holes of a box grater.
Though this recipe calls for dried cranberries, you can most definitely use fresh. See this variation in the notes section of the recipe box.
Vegan Cranberry Orange Muffins with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
The flavors in these vegan orange cranberry muffins are most companionable, making a wholesome treat or snack for any time of day.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup natural granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup vegan yogurt or applesauce
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1/2 cup orange juice, plus more, as needed
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 cup dried cranberries (or see fresh variation in Notes)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Maple-Cream Cheese frosting (optional)
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Extra walnuts for topping, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Combine the first 5 (dry) ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir together.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the yogurt or applesauce, oil, and orange juice. Start with 1/2 cup orange juice; if the batter can’t be evenly moistened, add a small amount of additional orange juice. Don’t overdo it; you want everything to be evenly moistened while allowing the batter to remain fairly stiff. Stir together until well blended.
- Stir in the orange zest, cranberries, and walnuts.
- Divide the batter evenly among 12 lined muffin tins. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the tops are golden and a small knife inserted into the center of a muffin tests clean.
- Cool on a plate or rack and serve warm or at room temperature.
Variation: By all means, use fresh cranberries when they are in season. Coarsely chop 8 ounces cranberries in a food processor, then combine in a bowl with 2 tablespoons natural granulated sugar. Let stand for 10 minutes before stirring into the batter.
If you like these fruity muffins, you might also enjoy …
See lots more easy vegan desserts & sweets.
Leave a Reply