Imagine the cool, creamy relief of a classic orange ice cream bar without the cloying sugary wallop of early childhood memories. Creamsicle ice cream bars are transformed into cashew-based dairy-free Dreamsicle bars, and they’re brighter, bolder, and more brilliantly citrusy thanks to a hefty measure of zest added into the mix.
Super Vegan Scoops! by the multi-talented Hannah Kaminsky is another brilliant effort by a food artist who does it all — writes beautifully, photographs amazingly, and does all the recipe development and styling for her many creative vegan cookbooks.
MORE ABOUT SUPER VEGAN SCOOPS!
Freeze! Leave those processed frozen desserts at the grocery store and dive into creamy, cool custards made in your own kitchen. It’s not a crime to want a more exciting ice cream experience than the average chocolate or vanilla scoop.
Super Vegan Scoops! churns out cool treats without dairy or eggs in unconventional flavors, truly offering tastes to delight even the most discerning sweet tooth.
Special equipment need not apply for many of these surprisingly simple sweets, covering no-churn options for quick pops and decadent ice cream cakes. Even handheld novelties like you’ve never seen before, complete with chewy cookies and crisp chocolate shells, come together with ease.
Put a stick in it, dig in a spoon, slice it thick, or melt it all down; there’s a bolder face to plant-based ice cream waiting for you just beyond the ice maker.
Recipe and photo from Sweet Vegan Scoops! Plant-Based Ice Cream for Everyone by Hannah Kaminsky, ©2021. Published by Skyhorse Publishing, reprinted by permission. Available on Bookshop.org,* Amazon,* and wherever books are sold.
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 6 hours and drained
- 1 cup orange juice
- ½ cup full-fat coconut milk, divided
- ¼ cup light agave nectar or maple syrup, divided
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Place the soaked cashews, orange juice, half of the coconut milk, and half of the agave or maple syrup in your blender. Puree on high speed, pausing to scrape down the sides of the container if necessary, until completely silky-smooth. If you still see a few errant pieces remaining after 5 to 6 minutes of continuous blending, pass the mixture through a fine mesh strainer and discard any solids. Stir in the orange zest.
- Separately, whisk together the remaining coconut milk and agave along with the vanilla and salt.
- Pour the orange cashew mixture into popsicle molds, filling them about 2/3 of the way to the top. Add the vanilla coconut mixture to fill the rest of the space. Lightly swirl the two together with a popsicle skewer before inserting sticks and placing in the freezer.
- Let set for at least 6 hours, ideally overnight, before unmolding and enjoying.
More from Super Vegan Scoops!
Here are lots more easy vegan desserts & sweets.
*These are Bookshop Affiliate and Amazon Affiliate links. If a product is purchased by linking through this site receives a modest commission, which helps maintain it and keeps it growing!