If your only experience with cranberry sauces has been with the sweet, jellied type, this spiced orange cranberry chutney will provide a welcome change of pace. Embellished with apple, dried apricots, ginger, and sweet spices, this may just become your go-to cranberry sauce.
Perfect for the Thanksgiving and Christmas table, it’s easy enough to make to accompany everyday cool-weather meals. It’s delicious with curried vegetable dishes and hearty plant-rich casseroles, for example.
See full menu options for Vegan Thanksgiving and Vegan Christmas — lots of delicious seasonal recipes to choose from! This sauce is a classic accompaniment to the holiday table, even when the menu is completely plant-based.
Another great way to use: Spoon into tiny bowls and make this a component of a delicious vegan charcuterie board.
Spiced Orange Cranberry Chutney
Embellished with apple, dried apricots, ginger, and sweet spices, this chutney may just become your go-to cranberry condiment.
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries
- 1 sweet apple, peeled, cored, and grated or diced
- 1 cup fresh orange juice (regular or blood orange)
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh or squeeze-bottle ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- l/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Pinch of nutmeg or allspice
- 1/4 cup agave or maple syrup, or more, to taste
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Lower the heat, cover (with the lid slightly ajar), and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cranberries are soft and the liquid is mostly reduced.
- Taste to see if you’d like more ginger, spices, and/or maple syrup spices. Simmer uncovered for 5 to 10 minutes longer, until nice and thick.
- Let the chutney cool to room temperature in the saucepan. If serving right away, transfer to a small serving bowl. If making ahead, transfer to a jar (or two) with a tight lid and refrigerate until needed. Before serving, bring to room temperature.
If you like this cranberry chutney, you might also enjoy …
See more tasty vegan sauces and dressings.
Leave a Reply