It’s easy to make vegan breakfast muffins using plant-based bacon and/or sausage, with other tasty plant-based ingredients embellishing the recipe. Many fast food menus may have gotten on the plant-based bandwagon by offering breakfast muffins made with vegan bacon or vegan sausage, but their sandwiches may still use egg, butter, and dairy cheese.
This yummy homemade English muffin breakfast sandwich is much more than just a copycat recipe. It use vegan cheese, of course, and the egg is replaced with a slab of sautéed tofu. A hint of jam, plus avocado and tomato, take it to the next level.
Vegan bacon: You can DIY and make Sweet and Savory Tempeh Strips or use your favorite brand of vegan bacon. Some well-known brands include All Vegetarian, Lightlife, Morningstar Farms, Sweet Earth, Tofurky, Upton’s Naturals, and others, including store brands. One of the newer entries in this group is Slutty Strips from Atlanta’s popular plant-based eatery, Slutty Vegan.
Vegan sausage patties: You can make your own Tempeh Vegan Sausage Breakfast Patties with the easy recipe on this site; or use a readymade variety. Make sure to use the patty type for this recipe, as vegan sausage links, great as they are, won’t work in this recipe.
Some brands include Amy’s Veggie Sausages, Beyond Breakfast Sausage, Field Roast Breakfast Sausage Patties, Gardein Breakfast Patties, Hilary’s Meatless Breakfast Sausages, Morningstar Farms Breakfast Sausages, Pure Farmland Breakfast Patties, and others. There are store brands as well.
Feel free to use both vegan bacon and sausage in this sandwich; why choose? Recipe adapted from Plant-Powered Protein by Nava Atlas. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky, BittersweetBlog.com.
- 14-ounce tub extra firm tofu
- Vegan butter, as needed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 English muffins, split or cut open
- Apricot or fig jam or orange marmalade as needed
- 4 plant-based sausage patties (packaged or homemade; see link to recipe in Notes) or 8 strips plant-based bacon (or both)
- 4 slices vegan cheese, any variety
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and sliced (or see variation)
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Cut the block of tofu so that it’s more square than rectangular. Save the excess for another use.
- Carefully cut the tofu in half through the thickness so that now you have two equal squares. Blot them very well between paper towels or s clean tea towel.
- Now carefully cut each piece of tofu through the thickness again so you wind up with four (hopefully) even pieces, about 1/4 thick.
- Heat enough vegan butter to coat a medium skillet. When the butter starts to sizzle, add the tofu pieces and cook over medium-high heat until golden and starting to turn crisp, about 4 minutes on each side. Sprinkle with salt and pepper when nearly done.
- While the tofu is cooking, toast each English muffin and arrange each on an individual plate. Spread each half with jam, followed by a slice of cheese.
- When the tofu is done, place one piece over each slice of cheese.
- Cook the plant protein of choice in the same skillet, adding a little more vegan butter if need be, until crisp on both sides.
- Arrange avocado and tomato slices over the sausage or bacon, then cover with the top halves of the muffins. Serve at once.
If you’d like to make your own vegan sausage patties, link to this site’s recipe for Tempeh Vegan Breakfast Sausage Patties.
If you like this veganized bacon sandwich, you might also enjoy …