Here’s a tangy vegan cold potato spinach soup that makes a delectable chilled bowlful, perfect for summer meals. It’s substantial as well as refreshing. Serve with a fresh flatbread and salad for a lovely warm-weather meal.
A simple soup without a lot of ingredients, what gives it its lovely tang is lemon juice (to your taste) and vegan sour cream or yogurt, both of which have gotten so much better over the years, with lots of brands to choose from — some even in well-stocked supermarkets.
What to serve with cold potato spinach soup
Serve the soup with a fresh flatbread or follow it with the season’s freshest corn-on-the-cob. While just about any kind of salad (other than potato salad, of course!) goes with this cold potato spinach soup, a grain-based salad is especially welcome. Here are a few that go nicely with this soup:
- Quinoa Tabbouli
- Farro and Artichoke Salad with Olives and Dried Tomatoes
- Kale and Quinoa Salad with Black Beans
If you love chilled soups, see a wide selection of Naturally Vegan Cold Soups (with lots of gazpacho variations).
Recipe adapted from Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons by Nava Atlas. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky, BittersweetBlog.com.
- 5 to 6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced (see note)
- 32-ounce carton low-sodium vegetable broth, or 4 cups water with 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 5 ounces baby spinach leaves
- 1 1/2 cup plant-based milk, or more as needed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 to 3 scallions, white and green parts, sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill, or more, to taste
- Juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon, to taste
- 8-ounce container vegan sour cream or plain vegan yogurt
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Croutons for serving, optional
Combine the potatoes with the broth in a large soup pot. Bring to a slow boil, then lower the heat. Cover and simmer gently until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat.
With a slotted spoon, transfer a heaping cup of the potato dice into a small bowl, mash well, and stir back into the soup Stir in the spinach leaves and cook for another minute or two, until just wilted. Remove from the heat.
Stir the remaining ingredients except for the sour cream, salt, and pepper into the soup pot.
Allow to cool to room temperature, then stir in the sour cream or yogurt. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight to chill
thoroughly. Serve cold with croutons, if desired.
While you can use pretty much any variety of potato, golden (aka Yukon gold) work great in this soup!
If you like this cold potato soup, you may also enjoy …
Here are more delicious vegan soups & stews.