This easy vegan avocado chocolate pudding recipe, made with silken tofu, is a mash-up of two contemporary classics. Whether you call this recipe a tofu chocolate mousse, avocado chocolate pudding, or tofu pudding, this smooth dessert is luscious!
Isn’t it nice when a plant-based dessert recipe becomes a classic? Vegan avocado chocolate pudding is usually made with dry cocoa or cacao, and is a staple in the raw vegan repertoire. Here we use dairy-free dark chocolate chips, making an extra-rich chocolate pudding.
You’ll need a food processor … and patience!
This super-easy recipe does require a food processor. You could make it in a blender with a small container, but the challenge is getting all that deliciousness out from the bottom.
The only other requirement is patience. Once it’s done, you need some time for it to chill in the fridge, but you can also enjoy it just warm or at room temperature.
Are you new to silken tofu?
Available in 16-ounce tubs or 12.3 ounce aseptic packages, this type of tofu is soft and smooth. I prefer the 12.3-ounce packages; the tofu is firmer, and the packaging itself makes the product shelf stable.
You’ll find it in natural foods stores and increasingly, in well-stocked supermarkets. The primary brand is Mori-Nu, and the varieties you’ll see most often are firm and extra-firm. These aren’t all that different from one another, and are fairly interchangeable. Learn more about silken tofu.
Silken tofu is ideal for pureeing and using as a base for creamy soups and sauces. I build my easy vegan macaroni and cheese with it.
It also makes a wonderful base for dessert puddings like the one presented here, and baked vegan chocolate mousse pie fillings. This may be the best type of tofu to use when you need to be sneaky!
Explore more …
- Easy tofu recipes
- Silken tofu recipes — savory and sweet
- Vegan chocolate desserts
- Vegan gluten-free dairy-free desserts and sweets
- Vegan avocado recipes.
Vegan Silken Tofu Avocado Chocolate Pudding
This delightful dessert is a mash-up of two vegan classics — silken tofu chocolate mousse and avocado chocolate pudding.
- 1 small or 1/2 medium ripe avocado, pitted
- 12.3-ounce package firm or extra-firm silken tofu
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or agave, more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Banana slices
- Mint leaves
- Pit the avocado and scoop out the flesh. Combine in a food processor with the tofu. Puree until completely smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a small saucepan and add the chocolate chips, syrup, and optional vanilla.
- Cook over medium low heat, whisking often, just until the chocolate chips have melted.
- Divide between four dessert glasses. Allow to cool completely, then serve at room temperature. Or, if you can wait, chill it in the refrigerator for an hour or two.
- When ready to serve, garnish with banana slices or mint leaves, if you’d like.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 226Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 8mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 3gSugar: 29gProtein: 2g
Nutrition data is always an estimate depending on program used to calculate and exact products used.
If you like this delicious vegan chocolate dessert, you might also enjoy …
Vanilla Cream-Chocolate Pudding Parfaits
- See lots more easy vegan desserts & sweets.
I tried this with my family, and I think it really comes down to taste. If you already enjoy a light, earthy flavor, this is for you. If you are looking for a full-fat dairy replacement, move on and try something else.