Colorful and briny, small servings of this olive-rich appetizer (featuring a tofu feta recipe) go a long way. If you’d like to pair this up with one other appetizer, serve this olive bar medley with tofu feta alongside your favorite dip or spread, plus fresh sliced baguette or gluten-free crackers.
Choose two or three different varieties of pitted olives from your supermarket’s olive bar. Add one extra item, as listed in the last ingredient suggestions, in this list, such as pickled peppers or garlic, to spice up the mix. Pulling it all together is the easy-to-make tofu feta recipe.
Exploring the olive bar
The olive bar is an incredibly enticing place for those of us who love this brined fruit. There are other marinated delicacies alongside them including pickles of all sorts, mushrooms, roasted peppers, hot peppers, crunchy vegetable mixes, and more.
Most well-stocked supermarkets have an olive bar in the produce section, so you need not go far to find one.
Olives aren’t as fatty and caloric as they look and taste. A generous serving of 10 olives has about 60 calories. Fat content depends on whether they’re packed in brine or oil, but in and of themselves, they don’t have trans fats or cholesterol and are low in carbs. You can get basic nutrition facts for olives here.
Very few people have allergies to olives, and they’re rich in good-for-you monounsaturated fatty acids and antioxidants.
Among the olives typically seen at the olive bar are Castelvetrano, Kalamata, Manzanilla, Picholine, Niçoise, and Greek.
The nice thing about olive bar shopping is that you can mix several varieties into a single container because it’s all the same price per pound. That lets you explore, taste, and discover your favorites.
- 8 ounces super-firm or extra-firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups mixed cured pitted olives
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into narrow strips, or a roasted pepper from the olive bar
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup pepperoncini, cherry peppers, other small pickled peppers, pickled garlic, or a combination
- Super-firm tofu doesn't need to be blotted, just drained. If using extra-firm tofu into 4 slabs crosswise, then blot between layers of paper towel or clean tea towels until you get out as much moisture as you can. Whichever type of tofu you’re using, cut into small dice.
- Place the tofu dice in a shallow container, in a single layer if possible. Toss with the lemon juice and oil; sprinkle with the salt and oregano. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Transfer the tofu feta to a serving container along with the remaining ingredients and toss gently. This can be made ahead of time and refrigerated until needed, or served at once. Spoon small portions onto small plates and serve with cocktail forks or toothpicks.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 73Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 320mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 3g
Nutrition data is always an estimate depending on program used to calculate and exact products used.
If you like olive appetizers, you might also enjoy …
Here are more tasty vegan appetizers & snacks