These sweet little no-bake vegan strawberry shortcakes are made with rounds of prepared polenta in place of baked biscuits. A fun spring or early summer dessert, it’s easy enough to make as an everyday treat or for special occasions.
This is made extra luscious with vegan whipped cream. Some brands to look for include So Delicious Coco Whip, Soyatoo Soy Whip, and Rice Whip.
Use the sweetest seasonal strawberries you can find, preferably organic. Recipe adapted from 5-Ingredient Vegan by Nava Atlas. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
- 1 pint strawberries
- 1/4 cup all-fruit strawberry preserves
- 18-ounce tube polenta
- Vegan butter, as needed
- Vegan whipped cream (see note)
- Mint leaves for garnish, optional
- Remove hulls from the strawberries and slice very thinly. Cut up any large slices in half to make smaller pieces. Reserve 6 small unsliced halves for topping, if desired.
- Combine the strawberries and 1/4 cup preserves, more or less to coat, in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cut away a little from the puckered ends off from the polenta, then cut the rest into 12 equal slices. They’ll be about 1/2 inch thick.
- Heat enough vegan butter to coat a wide skillet or griddle. Cook the polenta slices in a single layer until golden and slightly crusty, about 7 minutes on each side. If you’d like, replenish with more vegan butter before flipping to the second side.
- Remove from the skillet to a platter and allow to cool to room temperature, or until ready to serve. If you’re impatient and apply the whipped cream to warm polenta, you’ll get a runny mess!
- When ready to serve, layer as follows: A slice of polenta, a small dollop of whipped cream, a few slices of strawberry, another slice of polenta, more whipped cream, a half strawberry (or a few more slices if you didn’t reserve halves).
- Pass around any unused strawberries and more whipped cream to spoon onto individual shortcakes.
Some brands of vegan whipped cream to look for include So Delicious Coco Whip, Soyatoo Soy Whip, and Rice Whip.
If you like this berry-filled dessert, you might also enjoy …
Here are more easy vegan desserts & sweets