Here’s a lively Greek salad with artichokes and chickpeas, featuring a pop of flavor from vegan feta and black olives. You can buy fantastic vegan feta readymade, or make your own with tofu.
Especially when the weather gets warmer, I’m often hankering after a salad for lunch, but I don’t want to spend a lot of time with prep in the middle of the workday. Fortunately, this salad can be made in minutes, and doesn’t need a whole lot of chopping.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- A small head of romaine or other lettuce (or a few big handful of mixed baby greens)
- Grape or cherry tomatoes
- Black olives
- Artichoke hearts (marinated or not)
- Red or orange bell pepper
- Red onion
- Vegan feta or homemade tofu feta (part of this recipe; you’ll need half for this salad)
- Bottled or homemade Basic Vinaigrette Salad Dressing
- Fresh lemon or Lemon juice
The vinaigrette and lemon juice didn’t make it into the shot, but everything else is here! If you’re looking to reduce your use of canned goods, Melissa’s Produce offers can-free artichoke hearts and chickpeas, among other can-free products.
With or without fresh crusty bread or pita wedges, this salad will keep you surprisingly full for hours. See lots more savory and delicious olive recipes.
Greek Salad with Artichokes, Chickpeas, and Vegan Feta
Here’s a lively Greek salad with artichokes and chickpeas, featuring a pop of flavor from vegan feta. You can buy fantastic vegan feta readymade, or make your own with tofu.
- 1 small head romaine or other lettuce, torn or cut into shreds (or a few big handful of mixed baby greens)
- 1/2 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives (halved if you’d like, or keep whole)
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 1 cup artichoke hearts (marinated or not)
- 1 red or orange bell pepper, cut into thin slices
- A small chunk of red onion, cut into thin slivers
- 1/3 cup bottled or homemade Basic Vinaigrette (see link in Notes), more or less as desired
- Juice of 1/2 fresh lemon (or 2 tablespoons lemon juice, or more, to taste)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 ounces packaged vegan feta, cut into small dice, or homemade tofu feta (see link in Notes)
- Combine all the ingredients except the feta in a mixing bowl. Stir well and let stand for 5 minutes or so to allow the flavors to blend.
- Taste to see if you’d like to add more dressing or lemon juice, but don’t drench the salad. You can always pass them around.
- Add the feta and toss again, or pass it around to top individual portions.
Here are links to:
- Basic Vinaigrette
- Tofu Feta is within this recipe you'll be using half of it for this salad)
If you enjoy artichokes in salads, you might also like:
Potato Salad with Red Beans & Artichokes
See lots more delectable, veggie-filled salads & sides.
Leave a Reply