“Beefy” vegan nachos grande take almost no time to make, and is fantastic party fare or even an emergency dinner. They’re also a great way to convince your skeptical friends to take a walk on the veg side. This recipe serves 4 as a meal; and it goes further as an appetizer.
Though the ingredient amounts in this recipe are enough to make a hefty platter of nachos, you can also scale the recipe down to make a single serving on a regular-sized plate. Just layer on a bit less, in the same way described; no need for exact measuring.
Vegan ground — several options
For the protein crumbles, you have several options. Here are just a few of the brands making plant protein varieties that suit this recipe, plus one DIY option:
- Plant-based ground or crumbles (Beyond, Impossible, Yves, Sweet Earth Foods)
- Plant-based chorizo (No Evil, Morningstar)
- Beefy-style vegan burgers (Amy’s California Burger, Sweet Earth Burgers)
- For a DIY approach, consider Walnut and Tempeh Taco Filling
With so many beefy ground alternatives on the market, there’s absolutely no reason to use the animal product. Switching to plant based is one of the single best ways to reduce your environmental footprint. And it’s kinder to animals and your heart.
Recipe adapted from Plant-Powered Protein: 125 Recipes for Using Today’s Amazing Meat Alternatives © 2020 by Nava Atlas. Reprinted by permission. Photographs by Hannah Kaminsky, BittersweetBlog.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 to 5 ounces plant-based beefy-style crumbles or ground (see options in Notes)
- Good-quality tortilla chips
- 1 cup thawed frozen corn kernels
- 8-ounce package vegan cheddar or pepper jack cheese shreds
- 1 or 2 fresh jalapeños, optional
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, and diced
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, diced, or 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 8-ounce jar salsa (your favorite variety)
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet. Add the crumbles and sauté over medium heat until lightly browned, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Spread tortilla chips on a large platter. Sprinkle with the corn, burger crumbles, about half of the package of vegan cheese shreds, and sliced jalapeños (if using) to your taste. If hot peppers aren’t your thing, skip them.
- Microwave the nachos until the cheese is melted (45 seconds or so), or if you prefer the oven, bake for 8 minutes at 400º F, or until the cheese is nicely melted.
- Top the nachos with the avocado and tomatoes. Put the salsa in a small bowl to pass around.
- Have everyone scoop up some of the nachos for themselves onto individual plates if you’re using this as a meal; or just dig in if eating as a party snack or appetizer.
Plant-based protein options (for more info on brands, see the list above the recipe box):
- Plant-based ground or crumbles (4 to 5 ounces)
- Plant-based chorizo (4 to 5 ounces)
- 2 beefy-style vegan burgers, crumbled
- DIY: Walnut & Tempeh Taco Filling
If you like these nachos, you might also enjoy …