The classic fresh ginger and turmeric tea is bolstered by fresh lemon, and apple cider vinegar to make a bracing tonic. This is good served hot or cold.
If you like the flavors of this tonic separately, you’ll love them all together in one drink! It’s a wonderfully cleansing beverage to enjoy after holidays and other special occasions when you have that “I ate too much” feeling.
It’s also welcome beverage during cold and flu season, when you might gain an immune boost, or simply feel soothed if you’re already under the weather.
This makes a quart of beverage. Try having a cup a half hour or so before meals, as all of the ingredients, especially the ginger and ACV, are known to aid digestion. You can enjoy this beverage hot or cold, all year round.
Turmeric, which gives this tea its vivid color, is a proven anti-inflammatory. Due to compounds called curcuminoids, it has many other known benefits. Learn more about turmeric here:
- 4 cups filtered water
- 1-inch piece fresh turmeric, thinly sliced
- 1½-inch piece ginger, thinly sliced
- Juice of ½ to 1 lemon, to taste
- 2 tablespoons organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- Liquid or powdered stevia, agave, or maple syrup, to taste or other sweetener to taste
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground cardamom
- A grinding or two of black pepper
- Pinch of dried thyme or a few sprigs of thyme for garnish
- Combine the water, turmeric, and ginger in a saucepan and bring to a slow boil. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and scoop out the turmeric and ginger pieces with a slotted spoon. Add the lemon juice (to taste), apple cider vinegar, and sweetener of choice.
- Stir in the optional ingredients. Drink hot or allow to cool and chill, or serve on ice.
Variation: Toss in a bag or two of your favorite tea in step 1. Rooibos, chamomile, and green tea are all good in this.
If you like this ginger-infuse beverage, you might also enjoy …
Here are more tasty, good-for-you beverages.