Corn and pinto bean salad, simply embellished with lime vinaigrette, is an easy way add color and protein to your plate. Whether you’re looking for a substantial salad to serve for everyday meals or a last-minute dish to throw together for a potluck (double the recipe for the latter), this quick recipe can serve as both.
Corn and beans have a natural affinity for one another, and a lime vinaigrette gives this all the flavor it needs. For a simple meal, serve this colorful salad with vegan quesadillas (other than those made with beans and corn — we don’t want to be redundant!) or side by side with another substantial salad.
You can also just keep it light; serve this salad as a main dish and embellish with salsa and tortilla chips.
Additions and variations: It’s always easy and fun to vary simple salads like this one. Here are some substitutions and variations:
- Use black beans instead of pinto beans
- Use roasted red bell pepper from a jar for a different kind of flavor
- Use thinly sliced scallion instead of onion
- Add some halved cherry tomatoes
- Use 1/2 cup bottled vinaigrette, but don’t skip the lime juice!
- Add a minced fresh jalapeño for a spicier salad
Explore dozens of fresh corn recipes for summer and fall.
Easy Corn and Pinto Bean Salad
Corn and pinto bean salad, simply embellished with lime vinaigrette, is an easy way to add color and protein to your plate.
- 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups lightly cooked fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 medium red bell pepper, finely diced
- Cilantro leaves, as desired
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, preferably extra virgin
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon agave or maple syrup
- Combine the salad ingredients in a serving bowl.
- Combine the olive oil, lime juice, and agave in a small bowl and whisk together. Stir into the salad.
- If time allows, let stand for15 to 30 minutes before serving to allow the vinaigrette flavors to permeate; otherwise, serve at once.
If you like this simple bean and corn salad, you might also enjoy …
Black Bean and Corn Salad for a Crowd
Here are more easy and tasty vegan salads & sides.
I made this using parsley rather than cilantro and a tablespoon of the brown sugar type Truvia as the sweetener. It was delish.
Thanks, Jennifer! I love your tweaks, and am glad you enjoyed this.