Corn and pinto bean salad, simply embellished with lime vinaigrette, is an easy way add color and protein to your plate. Whether you’re looking for a substantial salad to serve for everyday meals or a last-minute dish to throw together for a potluck (double the recipe for the latter), this quick recipe can serve as both.
Corn and beans have a natural affinity for one another, and a lime vinaigrette gives this all the flavor it needs. For a simple meal, serve this colorful salad with vegan quesadillas (other than those made with beans and corn — we don’t want to be redundant!) or side by side with another substantial salad.
You can also just keep it light; serve this salad as a main dish and embellish with salsa and tortilla chips.
Additions and variations: It’s always easy and fun to vary simple salads like this one. Here are some substitutions and variations:
- Use black beans instead of pinto beans
- Use roasted red bell pepper from a jar for a different kind of flavor
- Use thinly sliced scallion instead of onion
- Add some halved cherry tomatoes
- Use 1/2 cup bottled vinaigrette, but don’t skip the lime juice!
- Add a minced fresh jalapeño for a spicier salad
Explore dozens of fresh corn recipes for summer and fall.
- 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups lightly cooked fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 medium red bell pepper, finely diced
- Cilantro leaves, as desired
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, preferably extra virgin
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon agave or maple syrup
- Combine the salad ingredients in a serving bowl.
- Combine the olive oil, lime juice, and agave in a small bowl and whisk together. Stir into the salad.
- If time allows, let stand for15 to 30 minutes before serving to allow the vinaigrette flavors to permeate; otherwise, serve at once.
If you like this simple bean and corn salad, you might also enjoy …
Here are more easy and tasty vegan salads & sides.