The presentation of this easy, offbeat vegan taco soup is fun and dramatic. It’s basically an easy chili base made with quinoa or bulgur, which lend the dish a meaty texture.
The soup is presented in a bowl lined with tortilla chips and topped with a few favorite taco garnishes — shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, and vegan cheese shreds.
The result is a delicious and filling hot soup — practically a stew — contrasted with the cool toppings. This one is a real crowd-pleaser, so if you’re feeding a larger crowd, double the recipe. Serve with extra chips and guacamole, and save room for a fruity dessert.
Recipe adapted from Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons by Nava Atlas. Photos by Theresa Raffetto.
- 1/2 cup raw quinoa or bulgur
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, finely diced
- Two 15-ounce cans pinto beans, or 3 1/2 to 4 cups cooked 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 chopped mild or hot green chilies, as you prefer
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- 1 tablespoon chili powder or barbecue seasoning, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups cheddar or pepperjack nondairy cheese
- Thinly shredded romaine or green leaf lettuce
- Finely diced firm, ripe tomatoes (about 1 cup)
- Large stone-ground tortilla chips
- Combine the quinoa or bulgur with 1 cup water in a small saucepan and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes, or until the water is absorbed.
- Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until translucent. Add the garlic and bell pepper and continue to sauté, stirring frequently, until all are golden.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the garnishes, plus the cooked grain and 3 cups water. Bring to a slow boil, then lower the heat. Cover and simmer gently15 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- Assemble each serving as follows: Fill each bowl about 2/3 full with soup. Top with some grated cheese, shredded lettuce, and diced tomatoes.
- Line the perimeter of each bowl with several tortilla chips, points facing upward, for a kind of star-shaped effect. The tortilla chips can be used to scoop up the solid parts of the soup or just nibbled along with the soup. Pass around a bowl of extra tortilla chips.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 405Total Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 228mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 20gSugar: 17gProtein: 16g
Nutrition data is always an estimate depending on program used to calculate and exact products used. This is given for informational purposes only and accuracy cannot be guaranteed.
If you like this taco soup, you might also enjoy …