Save the oceans as well as its living beings with these easy and tasty vegan fish tacos (or more accurately, fish-less tacos). Using any of the plant-based fish alternatives available or DIY tofu-based fillets, this recipe makes an easy, fun weeknight dinner.
Fish tacos became a thing long after I gave up seafood, so I never got to puzzle out what the appeal might be. But as we all know, they’re hugely popular, so there must be something to it.
I have a theory that this preparation is as much about the embellishments as it is about the fish, or in our case, plant-based fish fillets, a more recent innovation in the plant-protein world. A creamy slaw, crispy vegan “fish,” and a mellow avocado-cilantro cream join forces to make a terrific taco. This recipe makes 8 smaller or 6 larger tacos
Here are a few brands that make plant-based fish fillets:
- Sophie’s Kitchen (theirs were used in these photos)
- Linda McCartney
Or, if you’d like a more DIY approach, see Vegan Fish and Chips with Tartar Sauce to make your own fish-free fillets (of course, you can make the chips while you’re at it as a side dish).
If you’re keen on seafood dishes, but don’t like the destruction of the oceans, ocean life, and worker exploitation that go with them, see Plant-Based Seafood Alternatives You Need to Try, and explore more vegan seafood recipes on this site.
Recipe adapted from Plant-Powered Protein: 125 Recipes for Using Today’s Amazing Meat Alternatives © 2020 by Nava Atlas. Reprinted by permission. Photographs by Hannah Kaminsky, BittersweetBlog.com.
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream or vegan mayonnaise, or half of each
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 medium ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup vegan sour cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro Juice of 1/2 lime
- 8- to 10-ounce package plant-based breaded fish fillets, or the fillet portion of Vegan Fish and Chips (see link in Notes)
- 6 to 8 corn or wheat tortillas
- Picante sauce, sriracha, or 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and thinly sliced, optional
- Combine the ingredients for the slaw in a mixing bowl and stir together.
- Pit the avocado and scoop it out of its skin. Mash very well in a shallow bowl, then add the sour cream, cilantro, and lime juice. Stir together. If you’d like this to be extra-smooth, you can combine the ingredients in a food processor or mini-prep and process until smooth.
- Cut the plant-based fish fillets into narrow strips, then heat as suggested according to package directions.
- To assemble the tacos: In the center third of each tortilla, start with slaw (you may have some left over, but that’s fine, don’t overload!), followed by some plant-based fish and a dollop of the avocado cream. Finish with a drizzle of hot sauce or a few slices of jalapeño. Repeat as needed. Eat at once, out of hand.
In place of a packaged plant-based "fish" fillet product, you can use the fillet portion of this Vegan Fish and Chips recipe.
If you like plant-based seafood alternatives, you may also enjoy …
See lots more ways to make classic recipes plant-based in Veganize This!