It’s amazing what you can veganize these days! In fact, it’s getting to be so that there’s almost nothing that can’t be made in a plant-based version — even seafood. Robin Robertson’s delectable vegan fish and chips recipe features baked (not fried) potatoes and tofu “fish” fillets. And it’s served with an easy, creamy vegan tartar sauce that adds a bright note to the fillets.
Excerpted and adapted from Veganize It! © 2017 by Robin Robertson. Reprinted by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved. Photos by William and Susan Brinson.
- 2 large russet potatoes, halved lengthwise and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- (12- to 16- ounce) package extra-firm (or super-firm) tofu, drained
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dulse flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment or spray it with cooking spray.
- For the baked chips: In a bowl combine the potato slices, olive oil, salt, paprika, garlic powder, and pepper. Toss to coat the potatoes. Arrange the potato slices in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown and tender, turning occasionally, about 30 minutes total. When the potatoes are about halfway done, bake the fillets according to the recipe directions.
- For the Fish-Free Fillets: Cut the tofu into 1/2-inch slices and press.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the oil, tamari, and lemon juice. In a separate shallow bowl, combine the panko crumbs, dulse flakes, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika. Mix well.
- Dip each tofu slice into the oil and lemon mixture, then season each tofu slice with salt and pepper on both sides. Dredge the tofu slices in the crumb mixture, patting lightly to coat well. Arrange the coated tofu on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until nicely browned on both sides, turning once about halfway through, about 25 minutes total.
- For the tartar sauce: In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, pickle relish, and lemon juice. Mix well and refrigerate until ready to serve. When the potatoes and fillets are done, serve hot with the tartar sauce.
Veganize It! by Robin Robertson is available on Amazon* and wherever books are sold
If you like this veganized seafood recipe, you might also enjoy …
. . . . . . . . . .
This is an Amazon Affiliate link. If the product is purchased by linking through this site receives a modest commission, which helps maintain it and keeps it growing!