These lime-marinated tofu fajitas or soft tacos are delectable served with the usual embellishments that go with tortilla dishes.
What’s best about serving fajitas (and soft tacos for that matter) is that everyone participates in creating their own meal—and no one seems to mind! So easy to prepare, these are a fun centerpiece for an everyday dinner, yet are festive enough to serve to guests.
Fajitas or soft tacos, depending on how you roll or fold them. These can be served rolled up like fajitas, or folded in half like soft tacos. They have the same great flavor either way.
Complete the meal: Serve with fresh corn in the summer — you can roast it while you have the oven going at 425º F (start a few minutes before roasting the tofu and veggies), or cook in your preferred way. In the fall and winter, oven potato or sweet potato fries are a perfect side dish.
More easy taco recipes
- Summer Squash and Black Bean Soft Tacos
- Vegan “Carne Asada” Tacos
- Vegan Fish Tacos with Avocado Cilantro Cream
- Vegan Pulled Protein Tacos with Corn-Pineapple Salsa
- Lime Marinated Tofu Fajitas or Soft Tacos
- Vegan Korean BBQ Tacos
- Easy Coleslaw and Plant Protein Soft Tacos
- Super Easy Vegan Lentil Tacos
- Two 14-ounce tubs extra-firm tofu
- Juice of 1 1/2 limes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for the bell peppers
- 2 teaspoons chili powder or barbecue seasoning blend (see Note)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into long narrow strips
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into long narrow strips
- 4 to 6 scallions, cut into lengths matching the bell peppers
- 8 fajita- or soft taco-size flour tortillas
- Diced fresh tomatoes
- Fresh sprouts, thinly shredded lettuce, or thinly shredded cabbage
- Salsa or picante sauce
- Preheat the oven to 425º F.
- For each tub of tofu, cut the slices 8 slabs crosswise, Blot well between layers of paper towel or clean tea towels. The tofu should be as firm as possible, so if you have a tofu press and can press the tofu ahead of time, so much the better.
- Cut each slab in half in the opposite direction so that you wind up with 16 strips of tofu.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the lime juice, oil, chili powder or BBQ seasoning, and salt. Stir together.
- Add the tofu strips to the bowl, about half at a time, and toss gently to coat with the lime mixture.
- Arrange the tofu strips on a parchment-lined baking sheet in a single layer.
- Combine the bell peppers and scallions in the same bowl used earlier. Drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Arrange the bell peppers mixture on another parchment-lined pan. Roast the tofu mixture and the bell peppers mixture for 15 to 20 minutes, or until everything is turning golden.
- Just before everything in the oven is done, wrap the tortillas in foil and warm in the hot oven for no longer than 5 minutes.
- Place the garnishes in separate small bowls.
- Distribute two warmed flour tortillas to everyone. To assemble, have everyone place 4 strips of tofu and some of the peppers mixture in the center of their tortillas and garnish as they wish. Then roll up or fold over and eat out of hand.
Barbecue seasoning is available in the spice section of most supermarkets. Varieties include smokehouse maple, mesquite, chipotle, and there are lots of others. One of the major brandss is McCormick® Grill Mates. Discover your favorites, and keep a couple on hand.
If you like these tofu fajitas or soft tacos, you might also enjoy …
See lots more vegan tortilla dishes.