In these chocolatey date energy balls, the dried fruit provides an appealing texture and sweetness to a truffle-like vegan treat.
This recipe also provides a good way to enjoy hemp seeds. They’re one of the best, most concentrated sources of Omega 3s — even better (and tastier) than flaxseeds. They make a great addition to these delectable energy balls.
Just a few ingredients plus a few minutes of prep yields a good-for-you snack that tastes like dessert:
- Nut butter
- Hemp seeds (or wheat germ)
- Cocoa powder
- Agave or maple syrup
- A pinch of cinnamon
You can roll the balls in sesame seeds or more hemp seeds, coconut flakes, crushed almonds, or an extra dusting of cocoa powder, or just leave them plain — they’re plenty good just as they are.
- Here are more sweet and savory peanut butter recipes.
- And more date energy balls and truffles.
Cocoa-Date Energy Balls
In these chocolatey date energy balls, the dried fruit provide an appealing texture and contribute to the sweetness of these truffle-like vegan treats.
- 1/2 cup (firmly packed) pitted dates
- 1/2 cup natural almond butter, peanut butter, or other nut butter
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds or wheat germ
- 1/4 cup good-quality unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons agave or maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- For rolling (optional): sesame seeds, more hemp seeds, coconut flakes, crushed almonds, and/or more cocoa powder
- In a heatproof bowl, cover the dates with very hot water. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes, then drain well.
- Combine the soaked dates with the nut butter, all the ingredients in a food processor. Process until the mixture is smooth. You may have to stop the machine and reach in with a spoon a couple of times to break up clumps.
- Roll the mixture into 1-inch balls and arrange on a plate. Lightly dampening your hands makes this go more smoothly.
- Refrigerate for about an hour, or until firmed up. Store any not eaten at once in a covered container in the refrigerator, where they’ll keep for at least a week.
If you like these energy balls, you might also enjoy …
Easy Peanut Butter Chocolate Truffles
Peanut Butter Granola Energy Balls
Here are more vegan appetizers & snacks, and desserts & sweets.
Leave a Reply