Naturally vegan and easy to make, these peanut butter chocolate truffles, with just 4 essential ingredients, are an energy snack that adults and kids alike will love.
These richly flavored truffles, aka energy balls, were my kids’ favorite homemade snack when they were growing up, and they wouldn’t turn them down now, even as young adults.
The classic chocolate and peanut butter combo becomes a high-protein snack for kids, teens, and adults alike. Kids will love washing these treats down with cold nondairy milk. The same combo will delight the grown-up palate; and of course, these are delicious with coffee or tea as well.
Make sure to see the optional ingredients to roll these treats in, but they’re great just as is.
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter, creamy or crunchy
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup plump raisins, pitted dates, or soft apricots
- 1/2 cup wheat germ or hemp seeds
Optional additions for coating (use any one, or a combination)
- Sesame seeds Coconut flakes
- Cocoa powder
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor. Process until the mixture is completely smooth. You may have to stop the machine and reach in with a spoon a couple of times to break up clumps.
- Roll the mixture into 1-inch balls and arrange on a plate.
- If using any of the optional additions for coating, simply spread on a small plate, and roll the finished truffles around to coat.
- Refrigerate for about an hour or until firmed up. Store any not eaten at once in a covered container in the refrigerator, where they’ll keep for at least a week (though you can be sure they’ll be eaten long before then!).
If you like these easy energy truffles, you might also enjoy …