This recipe for vegan cherry chocolate chunk ice cream uses puréed and chopped cherries to enhance the flavor and texture. It’s no secret—cherries and dark chocolate have long been best friends. The rich and slightly bitter dark chocolate marries so well with the sweet and bold red cherry.
You can use frozen cherries in a pinch, but fresh cherries make this ice cream out of this world. Feel free to omit the amaretto if you prefer, but be sure to use a high-quality dark chocolate—it makes a huge difference!
Reprinted with permission from Incredible Vegan Ice Cream: Decadent, All-Natural Flavors Made with Coconut Milk by Deena Jalal, Page Street Publishing Co. 2019. Photo credit: Emily Kan.
Incredible Vegan Ice Cream is available wherever books are sold
- 2 cups fresh or frozen red cherries, pitted
- 2 tablespoons amaretto liquor (optional)
- 1¾ cups all-natural canned coconut milk
- 1 ⁄3 cup organic unrefined cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons organic agave
- Pinch of sea salt
- ½ cup dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- Use a food processor to purée half of the cherries. Roughly chop the remaining cherries, and if you’re using amaretto pour it over them to soak. Set the chopped cherries aside.
- Use a high-speed or immersion blender to mix the cherry purée, coconut milk, sugar, agave, and salt. Chill the mixture for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Once the mixture is chilled, add it to your ice cream maker and churn it according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Most machines take 10 to 15 minutes depending on the temperature of the mix, and when it’s finished it should look like soft serve.
- Once it’s churned, transfer the ice cream to a wide, freezer-safe container and gently fold in the chopped cherries and dark chocolate. Smooth the top, cover the ice cream tightly, and freeze it for at least 5 to 6 hours, or until it is firm.
- Depending on the temperature of your freezer, you may want to set the ice cream out for 5 to 10 minutes to soften it before serving. Store it in an airtight, freezer-safe container for up to 1 week.
About FoMu Ice Cream and Deena Jalal
Dig into FoMu Ice Cream’s most popular flavors without waiting in line for a cone. Signature scoops like Peanut Butter Mud Pie, Rockier Road, Matcha White Chocolate, and Avocado Lime are easy to whip up at home with a basic ice cream machine and a handful of fresh, wholesome ingredients.
Made with a versatile, extra creamy coconut milk base, these vegan, allergy-friendly recipes are totally free of additives and preservatives. Thanks to honest ingredients like seasonal fruit and veggies, real vanilla bean, freshly ground spices, and homemade chocolate sauce, you can enjoy each melty spoonful to the fullest.
Even with this super profile, every recipe delivers mind-blowing flavor and an irresistibly smooth, thick texture. From Pumpkin Caramel to Cold Brew, your ice cream machine will be busy all year long. We dare you not to try them all!
Deena Jalal is the owner and founder of FoMu Ice Cream, a plant-based frozen treat company with multiple shops in the Boston area and distribution to stores along the East Coast. She lives in Boston, Massachusetts, with her husband and FoMu co-founder, and their three little boys.
If you like this homemade vegan ice cream, you might also enjoy …
. . . . . . . . .
See lots more easy vegan desserts & sweets.