This simple dish of ginger turmeric chickpeas is embellished with roasted cherry tomatoes and comes together for a delicious quick meal.
The creator of this recipe, Rakhee Yadav, writes:
“I have been making this dish for years, and it is my daughter’s favorite Indian dish. She has been calling it yellow balls since I can remember. These chickpeas are unlike how we prepare it in North India where it is almost always prepared with gravy and slowly cooked for hours.
This particular version using canned chickpeas can be ready within 15 minutes. It is my perfect go-to meal when I am tired and want a quick meal that is good for you and heavenly in taste.”
Reprinted with permission from Heavenly Vegan Dals & Curries: Exciting New Dishes From an Indian Girl’s Kitchen Abroad by Rakhee Yadav, Page Street Publishing Co. 2019. Photo credit: Rakhee Yadav.
Roasted cherry tomatoes
- 1⅓ cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cups canned chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 piece ginger, cut into strips
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place the cherry tomatoes on the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake for 10 minutes.
- While the tomatoes are roasting, rinse the chickpeas under cold water.
- Heat the oil in a pan on high heat. Once hot, add the onion and the ginger and cook until the onion begins to brown at the edges, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the chickpeas to the onions and ginger and stir to mix. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the turmeric and cumin. Stir the spices into the chickpeas, cover and cook for 10 to 12 minutes on low heat. Add the salt and roasted cherry tomatoes and cook for another minute or two.
- Garnish with red onion and cilantro sprinkled on top.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 287Trans Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mg
Nutrition data is always an estimate depending on program used to calculate and exact products used. This is given for informational purposes only and accuracy cannot be guaranteed.
Heavenly Vegan Dals and Curries
is available on Amazon* and wherever books are sold
More about Heavenly Vegan Dals and Curries
Comforting Vegan Meals Full of Indian Flavor
Rakhee Yadav, born and raised in India, simplifies and reimagines the traditional plant-based recipes of her childhood to create incredible meals the whole family will love. Each recipe in Heavenly Vegan Dals & Curries is bursting with the robust authentic flavor of Indian cooking and packed with nutrient-rich ingredients to yield satisfying dinners that are easy to make.
The layered flavors of dals and curries make them versatile foods perfectly suited to becoming delicious, inexpensive meals with minimal effort―like sweet and savory Sweet Chili Coconut Pineapple Curry, Garam Masala Brussels Sprouts & Navy Beans Curry with Applesauce and Spicy Sweet Potato Curry with Zucchini Fries.
These recipes are easily customized to your tastes as you can often substitute the vegetables in the recipes for the ones you have on hand. With this cookbook you’ll be able to whip up wholesome vegan dinners that can come together in 30 minutes as well as slow food suppers fit for Sunday night.
Whether you’re vegan or just trying to spice up Meatless Monday, Heavenly Vegan Dals & Curries has something for everyone at the table. Visit Rakhee Yadav on the web at boxofspice.com.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this site receives a modest commission, which helps maintain it and keeps it growing!