Topped with plenty of roasted vegetables, this vegan sausage pizza is a treat for hearty appetites. Roasting the vegetables while the pizza bakes brings out their best flavor. Feel free to substitute other vegetables with whatever you have on hand for the ones suggested.
This pizza is a good candidate for our homemade Whole Wheat or Spelt Pizza Crust, though feel free to use your favorite prepared pizza crust if that’s not your thing.
Variations for vegetable and vegan sausage pizza
- Use other vegetables you have on hand in place of the ones listed here — mushrooms instead of zucchini, red onion instead of bell pepper, etc. You can’t go wrong!
- Use vegan pepperoni in place of sausage — a full package, or close to it, is what you’ll need.
- Though mozzarella-style vegan cheese is usually the variety of choice for pizza, try pepper jack or even cheddar.
Vegan sausage brands to choose from
Amy’s, Beyond, Field Roast, Gardein, Morningstar Farms, No Evil, Tofurky, and The Very Good Butchers all make excellent vegan sausage. You may find store brands as well. They’re all good!
You won’t be afraid to find out “how the sausage gets made,” as the saying goes, as the main ingredients are usually vital wheat gluten and/or tofu (be alert, though, if you have gluten or soy sensitivity).
- Hearty vegan sausage recipes.
- Creative vegan pizza recipes.
- Delicious vegan broccoli recipes.
- See lots more delicious roasted vegetable recipes.
What to serve with this pizza: All that’s needed is a simple green salad or slaw. Or skip the salad and have a refreshing fruit salad, post-pizza.
Recipe is from Vegan Express by Nava Atlas. Photos by Susan Voisin, FatFreeVegan.com.
Roasted Vegetable and Vegan Sausage Pizza
Topped with plenty of roasted vegetables, this vegan sausage pizza is a treat for hearty appetites.
- 2 links vegan sausage, slice 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into narrow strips
- 2 heaping cups small broccoli florets
- 2 small zucchinis, sliced (or about 2 cups halved and sliced medium zucchini)
- 1/4 cup sliced sun dried tomatoes, optional
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup marinara sauce, your favorite vegan variety, or more, as needed
- Two 12- to 14-inch good-quality pizza crusts, preferably whole-grain (see link to homemade crust in Notes and above recipe box)
- 2 cups vegan cheese shreds, any variety
- Dried basil or oregano
- Preheat the oven to 425º F.
- Combine the sausage, bell pepper, broccoli, zucchini, optional dried tomatoes, and oil in a mixing bowl. Stir together and transfer to a parchment-lined roasting pan. Place in the hot oven.
- Meanwhile, place each crust on a pizza pan or a baking sheet. Distribute the sauce over the surface of each crust. Sprinkle evenly with the vegan cheese shreds.
- Place the pizza in the oven about 10 minutes after the vegetables go in.
- Give the vegetables a stir after putting the pizza in the oven. Bake for an additional 12 to 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are nicely roasted and the pizza crust begins to turn golden.
- Distribute the vegetable mixture evenly over the surface of the pizza. Sprinkle with dried herb. Cut each pizza into 6 slices to serve.
Here's our homemade Whole Wheat or Spelt Pizza Crust.
If you like this hearty vegan pizza, you might also enjoy …
Leave a Reply