Lemony rosemary roasted potatoes are welcome throughout winter and spring, and make an especially nice side dish for holiday meals.
For a simple special occasion side dish, look no further. Potatoes embellished with rosemary is actually an old Roman preparation, so this is a dish that’s often served at Easter.
This contemporary interpretation is indeed a good choice for a festive Easter dinner, especially with its lilting lemony flavor, but it’s also fantastic for winter holidays and everyday meals as well.
A double dose of rosemary: What’s especially nice is that this dish has a double dose of rosemary — crushed dried rosemary to infuse the potatoes with flavor, and fresh rosemary for garnish. Make it garlicky or not, as you prefer.
Holidays aside, though, this lovely side dish can be served for everyday meals as well — a slightly dressed-up version of roasted potato wedges.
- 10 to 12 medium golden potatoes (Yukon gold or other)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon zest, optional
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced, optional
- Small fresh rosemary sprigs or leaves, as desired
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425º F.
- Scrub the potatoes well if organic; otherwise, peel them. Cut them into quarters lengthwise, then cut each quarter into half again to make thick wedges.
- Combine the potatoes in a mixing bowl with the olive oil, lemon juice, optional lemon zest, and crushed rosemary. Toss together.
- Arrange the potato mixture in a parchment-lined roasting pan. Roast for 15 minutes. Stir, and if using garlic, stir it in now.
- Roast for 10 minutes longer, or until the potatoes are golden and crisp. Season with salt and pepper and toss in small sprigs of rosemary to your heart’s content. Or, strip the leaves off the stems and use them in that way if you prefer.
- Transfer to a serving container and serve at once, or cover and keep warm until needed.
If you like this easy potato dish, you might also enjoy …
Here are more simple and tasty vegan side dishes and salads.