Vegan mushroom gravy is so easy to make, enhancing weeknight meals as well as special occasion fare. It’s a fantastic choice when you want something comforting that doesn’t take long to make.
Use most any variety of common mushrooms: This recipe is great with cremini (aka Baby Bella), oyster, portobello, shiitake, or the most common variety, white mushrooms. This gravy is extra-good when combining any two varieties. Learn more in this site’s Guide to 9 Common & Offbeat Culinary Mushrooms.
Ways to use Easy Vegan Mushroom Gravy
- Dollop onto mashed or smashed potatoes (white, golden, or sweet potatoes).
- Enhance plain grains (rice, quinoa, bulgur, farro … ) served as side dishes.
- Make your vegan meatloaf even more delectable.
- Serve as a sauce with vegan plant proteins. Serve over simply sautéed seitan, tempeh and tofu or recipes like Vegan “Chicken-Fried” Plant Protein.
- Slather onto roasted vegetables.
Photos (except for cremini mushrooms in bowl in the top collage): Hannah Kaminsky, BittersweetBlog.com.
- 8 to 10 ounces mushrooms, cleaned, stemmed, and thinly sliced (see options in Notes)
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unbleached white flour
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Finely minced parsley or chives, or a few sprigs of thyme or oregano, optional
- Combine the mushrooms with about 1/4 cup of the broth in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until wilted down, about 5 minutes.
- Dissolve the flour in enough of the broth to make it smooth and flowing. Slowly whisk it into the saucepan, followed by the remaining broth and nutritional yeast.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, and cook briefly until thickened. Season with salt and pepper and stir in a little minced minced herb if you’d like. Use right away. Store unused portion in a tightly lidded container and reheat before using.
Use any of these mushrooms: Cremini (aka Baby Bella), oyster, portobello, shiitake, or the most common variety, white mushrooms. This gravy is extra-good when combining any two varieties.
Another use for this gravy …
Here are more sauces & dressings to enhance your meals.