The prep for this cheerful-hued coconut sweet potato bisque is super easy — the sweet potatoes are microwaved ahead of time and then just scooped out of their skins.
Having to peel and dice several big sweet potatoes is a bit of a chore — though you’re welcome to do so if you have the time and inclination. Or, if you’re not a fan of microwaving, peel and dice to your heart’s content! That option is given in the note following the recipe.
Delectable sweet potato plus a surprisingly short list of other ingredients adds up to a richly flavored, soothing sweet potato soup that will warm you up on a chilly evening.
Ready in minutes: If you remember to microwave the potatoes ahead of time, the soup will be ready in minutes. Or, if you have the oven running, baking the sweet potatoes ahead of time will result in an even deeper flavor.
The scoop on sweet potatoes
Sweet potatoes are one of the most ancient, nutritious, and valuable food crops of the Americas. Not to diminish the value of white potatoes, but in comparison, sweet potatoes are substantially richer in nutrients. They’re especially high in vitamin A and the major minerals.
With their natural sweetness and glorious color, sweet potatoes lend themselves to simple preparations like this soup. And they’re splendid as a side dish, simply baked or microwaved.
Recipe adapted from 5-Ingredient Vegan by Nava Atlas.
- 4 large or 5 medium-large sweet potatoes (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 15-ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 15-ounce can light coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons good-quality curry powder
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Sriracha or other hot sauce
- Microwave the sweet potatoes, starting with 3 minutes per potato. Test, then add 1 additional minute per potato until soft. Set aside until cool enough to handle. If you want to speed up the process, immerse in a bowl of ice water.
- When the sweet potatoes are cool enough to handle, split in half and scoop the flesh out into a bowl and discard the skins.
- Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onion and sauté until golden.
- Add the tomatoes, coconut milk, curry powder, and 2 cups water. Bring to a slow boil.
- Stir in the sweet potato. Puree the soup until smooth either by using an immersion blender or transferring (in batches if need be) to a blender.
- Heat the soup gently until it reaches a simmer, then season with salt and pepper. Serve at once, or if time allows, let it stand for a half hour or longer to allow the flavors to blend. Heat through gently as needed.
- Pass around the optional cilantro and/or sriracha for garnishing and embellishing individual servings.
If you prefer peeling, dicing, and cooking the sweet potatoes, by all means!
Before beginning the soup, peel the sweet potatoes and cut into large dice. Place in a large saucepan with barely enough water to cover. Bring to a slow boil, then lower the heat, cover, and simmer until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Proceed with the recipe from step 3, and add in the sweet potatoes in step 5.
If there’s still some cooking water remaining with the sweet potatoes, use less water in step 4, then adjust as needed.
If you like this smooth soup, you might also enjoy …
See lots more vegan soups & stews.