Though they’re especially appreciated as a Passover treat, you can enjoy these easy vegan coconut macaroons any time of year. Hannah Kaminsky, who contributed this recipe, observes:
“Come Passover, the most popular cookie around are the traditional coconut macaroons. As a kid, I never understood the appeal of those coarse, tooth-achingly sweet, and often stale balls of dusty coconut.
It wasn’t until I took it upon myself to rewrite the recipe with a little twist, not to mention sans egg whites and an extra cup or two of sugar, that I saw what all the fuss is about.
Whether you break these vegan coconut macaroons out for Passover or any other time of the year, they’ll be gobbled up before you know it!”
Recipe and photos are from Vegan Desserts: Sumptuous Sweets for Every Season by Hannah Kaminsky, © 2015, Skyhorse Publishing. Reprinted by permission.
- Explore more vegan gluten-free dairy-free desserts and sweets.
- 2/3 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup plain nondairy milk
- 2/3 cup potato starch
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 cups unsweetened shredded coconut (about 14 ounces)
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. and line two baking sheets with silpats or parchment paper.
- Combine the peanut butter, nondairy milk, potato starch, sugar, brown rice syrup, vanilla, and salt in a food processor and process to combine.
- Add in all of the coconut, and pulse just a few times to incorporate it, but don't go crazy because you don't want to break it up too much.
- Use a small cookie scoop of about 1 1/2 Tbsps capacity or two regular spoons to drop dollops of the batter on to your prepared sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 14 minutes until golden brown on top. Coconut can quickly go from nicely browned to blackened and burnt, so keep an eye on the cookies while they're in the oven.
- Let cool completely on the sheets before storing in an air-tight container at room temperature.
Here's a fantastic variation to try, as shown in the photos: Add an extra something special by melting about 6 ounces of dark chocolate and then dipping the bottoms of the cookies in it. Let them rest on a clean silpat until the chocolate has set, and then store as described above.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 84Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 29mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 1g
Nutrition data is always an estimate, based on program used to calculate and specific products used.
Vegan Desserts: Sumptuous Sweets for Every Season
is available wherever books are sold
You might also enjoy …
See more easy vegan desserts & sweets.