Moist and flavorful, these cheesy vegan corn muffins with fresh herbs (parsley or cilantro plus scallion) pair perfectly with hearty soups.
I especially like these tasty muffins with bean soups, as well as veggie chili as a change of pace from pan cornbread. Vegan cornbread or muffins need an extra dose of moist ingredients so that the don’t come out dry. Vegan cheese shreds, olive oil, and applesauce (don’t worry, this doesn’t make them sweet) do the trick.
Fresh herbs add visual interest as well as flavor. Either parsley or cilantro, paired with scallions of chives, are winning combos.
These muffins can certainly be enjoyed on their own as a snack (split open and spread a little vegan butter makes them even yummier). If you’d like to serve them as a companion to soups, here are some they go well with:
Recipe adapted from Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons by Nava Atlas.
- 1 cup cornmeal, preferable stone-ground
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup plain unsweetened plant-based (nondairy) milk, or more as needed
- 1 cup vegan cheddar-style cheese shreds
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- 2 to 3 scallions, thinly sliced, or 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 1/2 cup cooked fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400º F.
- Combine the first 5 (dry) ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir together.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Pour in the applesauce, oil, and plant-based milk. Stir until well combined, adding more nondairy milk as needed to make a smooth, slightly stiff batter. Don’t be tempted to add too much, as then the muffins won’t bake through — add just enough to moisten all the dry ingredients.
- Fold in the cheese shreds, parsley, scallions, and optional corn kernels.
- Divide the batter among 12 well-oiled or paper-lined muffin tins. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the muffin tops are golden brown and a toothpick or knife inserted into the center of one tests clean.
- Cool on a rack or plate. Store leftover muffins in an airtight container once completely cooled.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 172Total Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 160mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 4g
If you like these corn muffins, you might also enjoy …
Photos of vegan corn muffins: NedoB/Bigstock