Proving that anything can be made in a plant-based version, vegan “tuna” and white bean salad is a classic that’s welcome for lunch or dinner.
We all know that it’s become easy to veganize meaty dishes, and now, seafood classics can be make only with plants as well.
For this recipe, you can use any of the plant-based tuna substitutes on the market, or opt for baked tofu. The latter doesn’t have the flaky texture that the tuna analogs do, but it still works very well — and is quite tasty.
Two of the main brands available are Good Catch Fish-Free Tuna and Loma Linda Toona. Explore more plant-based seafood innovations in 7 Plant-Based Seafood Alternatives You Need to Try, which includes not only plant-based tuna, but vegan shrimp, fish filets, shrimp, and more.
Back to this salad — this classic is made colorful with tomatoes, spinach (or other baby greens), corn, and red onion, and more. Best yet, it can be made in minutes. Served for lunch, all you need is a crusty bread; and it makes a perfect partner for soup for dinner.
- 3.3-ounce package plant-based fish-free tuna or half of an 8-ounce package baked tofu
- 1 cup steamed fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 15-ounce can cannellini or Great Northern beans
- 1/4 cup or so sliced red onion
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 to1/3 cup bottled or homemade vinaigrette (see link to recipe in Notes)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Baby spinach, arugula, or mixed greens as needed
- Handful of green sprouts (such as pea shoots), optional
- If using plant-based tuna, flake it further if there are larger chunks. If using baked tofu, cut into very small dice.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the plant-based tuna or tofu with the corn, beans, onion, tomatoes, and enough vinaigrette to moisten and flavor. Stir together and season with salt and pepper.
- Line a roomy serving platter with greens. Mound the salad over it. Top with some sprouts if desired, then serve at once.
See the recipe for Basic Vinaigrette.
If you like this veganized tuna salad, you might also enjoy …
See lots more vegan salads & sides.