Just one simple tweak is needed to convert the classic side dish into vegan scalloped corn — simply swap in plant-based substitutes for the dairy. Though it’s perfectly acceptable to make with frozen corn, especially in cooler months, this casserole side dish is especially good with barely-cooked, tender fresh corn kernels.
A sturdy side dish that goes well with bean dishes and paired with other casseroles, it’s excellent served at everyday as well as special occasion meals.
While the oven is going at 375º F, consider baking at the same time:
- Potato, Apple, & Sauerkraut Stuffing
- Vegan Cheddar Broccoli Rice Casserole (it’s fine to bake it at 375º F rather than the 400º designated; bake for 10 additional minutes)
- Vegan Vegetable Lasagna (made without noodles)
Recipe is adapted from The Vegetarian Family Cookbook by Nava Atlas. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky, BittersweetBlog.com.
Explore dozens of fresh corn recipes for summer and fall.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small or 1/2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 medium firm, ripe tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons unbleached white flour
- 3/4 cup plain unsweetened plant-based milk
- 4 cups cooked fresh corn kernels (from 4 medium ears) or 16-ounce bag thawed frozen corn
- 1 cup vegan mozzarella-style cheese shreds
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme or basil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 average-size slices whole grain bread
- Preheat the oven to 375º F.
- Heat about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and sauté until golden. Add the zucchini and tomatoes, and cook briefly, just until they’ve softened slightly.
- Sprinkle the flour and stir in until evenly distributed. Slowly pour in the plant-based milk, stirring constantly.
- Add the corn, vegan cheese shreds, and thyme. Cook over medium heat until the liquid has thickened. Season with salt and pepper, then transfer to a 9- by 13-inch casserole dish or a large round shallow casserole dish.
- Tear the bread into a few pieces. Place in a food processor fitted with the metal blade and pulse on and off to make coarse crumbs. Drizzle the remaining oil through the feed tube, and pulse a few additional times. Sprinkle the crumbs over the corn mixture.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the bread crumbs look golden and crisp, then serve by scooping straight from the casserole dish.
If you like this corn casserole, you might also enjoy …
Explore lots more cozy, family-friendly vegan casseroles