Nutty and pleasant-tasting, poppy seeds are a wonderful addition to breads, rolls, bagels, and cakes. Not to mention muffins — these easy vegan lemon poppy muffins make the point easily and deliciously.
Make these muffins in the evening to enjoy as a grab and go breakfast, or serve any time with tea or coffee as a wholesome treat.
Recipe and photos are from The China Study Cookbook: Revised and Expanded Edition, with over 175 Whole Food, Plant-Based Recipes by LeAnne Campbell, PhD. With a foreword by T. Colin Campbell, PhD. Published by BenBella Books @2018. Reprinted by permission.
The China Study Cookbook: Revised and Expanded Edition, with over 175 Whole Food, Plant-Based Recipes by LeAnne Campbell, PhD is available on Amazon* and wherever books are sold.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- ½ cup raw cane sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened nondairy milk (rice, soy, almond, etc.)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners (or use a nonstick pan).
- Combine flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, lemon zest, and raw cane sugar in a medium-size mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together milk and lemon juice.
- Fold dry ingredients into wet mixture. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 227Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 184mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 5gSugar: 10gProtein: 8g
If you enjoyed these poppy seed muffins, you might also like …
See more recipes for tasty vegan desserts & sweets.
*This is an Amazon Affiliate link. If the product is purchased by linking through this site receives a modest commission, which helps maintain it and keeps it growing!