One of those carb-laden classic recipes that’s so comforting, this vegan beefy pasta skillet is part cheeseburger macaroni, kind of hamburger helper-ish, and all plant-based.
Many of us who might gravitate to more veg-centric meals like Buddha bowls can still get cravings for carb-filled comfort dishes like this one. Unabashedly filled with plant-based meat and dairy alternatives, there’s absolutely no need to have a cow to enjoy this hearty skillet meal.
In the time it takes the pasta to cook, the other ingredients are prepared in the skillet. Then, all you need to complete the meal is a colorful salad.
Plant-based beefy ground options
For the beefy ground, you can use your favorite brand of plant-based ground. For example Beyond Beef® Plant-Based Ground (just half of a 16-ounce package for the recipe) or two Beyond Burgers. Two Amy’s® California Burgers work quite well here; and I hear that Trader Joe’s are good, too.
Or you can make your own vegan ground from whole foods, too. Italian-Flavored Vegan Beef-less Ground is an option that works quite well in this recipe.
- 8 to 10 ounces pasta, any short shape (spirals work well)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, any variety, or a mix of two varieties
- 8 to 10 ounces plant-based ground, crumbled vegan burgers, or homemade ground (see options in Notes or above recipe box)
- 28-ounce jar marinara sauce, your favorite meatless variety
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups vegan mozzarella or pepper jack cheese shreds
- Freshly ground pepper and/or dried hot red pepper flakes to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Cook the pasta according to package directions until al dente. Once done, drain.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and garlic and sauté over medium-low heat until golden.
- Add the onions and continue to sauté until slightly wilted.
- Add your choice of plant-based ground and turn up the heat. Continue to sauté, stirring often, until the mixture is lightly browned here and there, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked pasta, marinara sauce, and vegan cheese shreds. Continue to cook until everything is nicely blended and piping hot, about 3 to 4 minutes longer.
- Season to taste with pepper and/or dried hot red pepper flakes. Stir in the parsley and serve straight from the skillet.
For the plant-based beefy ground, use your favorite brand of vegan ground or plant-based burgers (you’ll be crumbling up the latter), for example, Beyond Beef®. For a more whole-foods approach, a package of Amy’s California Burger, crumbled, works quite well.
More options are discussed above recipe box.
If you’d like to make your own whole-foods crumbles for this dish, Italian-Flavored Vegan Beef-less Ground works quite well.
If you like this vegan ground beef-y skillet, you might also enjoy …