One of those carb-laden classic recipes that’s so comforting, this vegan beefy pasta skillet is part cheeseburger macaroni, kind of hamburger helper-ish, and all plant-based. In the time it takes the pasta to cook, the other ingredients are prepared in the skillet. Then, all you need to complete the meal is a colorful salad.
Many of us who might gravitate to more veg-centric meals like Buddha bowls can still get cravings for carb-filled comfort dishes like this one. Unabashedly filled with plant-based meat and dairy alternatives, there’s absolutely no need to have a cow to enjoy this hearty skillet meal.
Plant-based beefy ground options
For the beefy ground, you can use your favorite brand of plant-based ground. For example Beyond Beef® Plant-Based Ground (just half of a 16-ounce package for the recipe) or two Beyond Burgers. Two Amy’s® California Burgers work quite well here; and I hear that Trader Joe’s are good, too.
Or you can make your own vegan ground from whole foods, too. Italian-Flavored Vegan Beef-less Ground is an option that works quite well in this recipe.
- 8 to 10 ounces pasta, any short shape (spirals work well)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, any variety, or a mix of two varieties
- 8 to 10 ounces plant-based ground, crumbled vegan burgers, or homemade ground (see options in Notes or above recipe box)
- 28-ounce jar marinara sauce, your favorite meatless variety
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups vegan mozzarella or pepper jack cheese shreds
- Freshly ground pepper and/or dried hot red pepper flakes to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Cook the pasta according to package directions until al dente. Once done, drain.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and garlic and sauté over medium-low heat until golden.
- Add the mushrooms and continue to sauté until slightly wilted.
- Add your choice of plant-based ground and turn up the heat. Continue to sauté, stirring often, until the mixture is lightly browned here and there, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked pasta, marinara sauce, and vegan cheese shreds. Continue to cook until everything is nicely blended and piping hot, about 3 to 4 minutes longer.
- Season to taste with pepper and/or dried hot red pepper flakes. Stir in the parsley and serve straight from the skillet.
For the plant-based beefy ground, use your favorite brand of vegan ground or plant-based burgers (you’ll be crumbling up the latter), for example, Beyond Beef®. For a more whole-foods approach, a package of Amy’s California Burger, crumbled, works quite well.
More options are discussed above recipe box.
If you’d like to make your own whole-foods crumbles for this dish, Italian-Flavored Vegan Beef-less Ground works quite well.
If you like this vegan ground beef-y skillet, you might also enjoy …