This easy recipe for Dill Cabbage Steaks is sure to be a hit for a weeknight dinner. Contributed by Kathy Hester, vegan slow cooking expert, she says: “I have to admit that I was skeptical about cabbage steaks, but once I tried them, I was hooked. This takes very little effort and makes the perfect stick-to-your-ribs meal. You can double the potatoes if you’re extra hungry.”
This recipe is gluten-free, soy free, and has a no-oil option. You’ll need a 4-quart slow cooker. It’s great almost any time of year!
From The Vegan Slow Cooker: Simply Set It and Go with 160 Recipes for Intensely Flavorful, Fuss-Free Fare Fresh From the Slow Cooker or Instant Pot®, Revised and Expanded. By Kathy Hester ©2018, Quarto Publishing Group USA Inc. Reprinted by permission.
- 4 cups quartered baby potatoes (a mix of yellow, red, and purple if possible)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (optional; leave out to make oil-free)
- 4 (½-inch-thick) cabbage slices (green or red)
- Olive oil spray (leave out to make oil-free)
- 2 teaspoons dried dill or several sprigs fresh dill)
- Unsweetened vegan yogurt as desired
- Fresh dill
- Salt and pepper
- The night before, slice 4 cabbage steaks from the thickest part of the cabbage. Coat sides with 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil, if using.
- Toss the potatoes in 1 tablespoon oil (if using). Store in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, either oil your slow cooker or line with parchment paper. Spread the potatoes out and layer cabbage steaks on top. Cook on low 7 to 9 hours.
- To serve, place one cabbage steak on each plate and the distribute the potatoes among them. Dollop the vegan yogurt over each cabbage steak and the dill on top. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 338Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 123mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 7g
Nutrition data is always an estimate depending on program used to calculate and exact products used.
The Vegan Slow Cooker by Kathy Hester is available on Amazon* and wherever books are sold
*This is an Amazon Affiliate link. If the product is purchased by linking through this site receives a modest commission, which helps maintain it and keeps it growing!