The spring garden is the star of this simple mixed greens salad featuring cucumber, radishes, and fresh herbs. A tender salad dressed in vinaigrette, its a fitting accompaniment to most any kind of spring meal.
“The first gathering of the garden in May of salads, radishes, and herbs made me feel like a mother about her baby — how could anything so beautiful be mine. And this emotion of wonder filled me for each vegetable as it was gathered every year. There is nothing that is comparable to it, as satisfactory or thrilling, as gathering the vegetables one has grown.”
What to serve with this salad
- Serve side by side with another seasonal salad — Spring Pasta Salad with Asparagus and Peas.
- It’s a fantastic pairing with Quick and Colorful Quinoa Paella.
- Serve as a light accompaniment with vegan burgers and sandwiches.
You might also like:
- 4 to 6 ounces tender greens (spring mix or other baby greens)
- 1 small bunch of radishes, trimmed and sliced
- ½ medium or 1 smallish cucumber, thinly sliced
- ½ cup chopped fresh herbs of your choice (parsley, dill, cilantro, or a combination)
- 1 cup or so green sprouts (such as sweet pea shoots or broccoli sprouts)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, or about 1/4 cup chopped chives
- Bottled or homemade vinaigrette, as needed (see link in Notes)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Fennel seeds, pumpkin seeds, or sunflower seeds for garnish
- Combine all the greens, radishes, cucumber, herbs, sprouts, and scallion in a large serving bowl and toss together.
- Use enough dressing to moisten the salad, then toss again.
- Sprinkle with the seeds and serve. Pass around additional dressing for individual servings.
Here's our Basic Vinaigrette Salad Dressing if you'd like to make your own.
If you like mixed greens salads, you may also enjoy …
See lots more veg-centric salads & sides.