Hot or cold fresh tomato soup pairs well with so many types of meals. Make with summer’s most flavorful tomatoes for best results!
This soup is a gift to gardeners with a bumper crop of summer tomatoes. Non-gardeners can make this soup with summer tomatoes from the local farm market or CSA, of course.
This works well with classic beefsteak tomatoes, but any tomatoes that are ripe, red, and juicy can be used. See this helpful guide to tomato varieties.
If you’re looking for a summer soup that’s ready in little time, this is a fantastic choice.
Served hot, this soup is a classic pairing with (vegan) grilled cheese sandwiches. Served cold, it’s delicious with leafy wraps like Olive Hummus Wraps with Greens and Avocado.
It can also be served as a first course with crusty bread (or, add croutons), followed by grilled vegetables and/or pasta salads, or grain salads. Or a pasta and grain combo like Pasta Salad with Quinoa and Corn.
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds ripe, flavorful tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, parsley, or dill, plus more for garnish
- 1 to 2 scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 cup spicy tomato juice or vegetable blend juice, or as needed
- Juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon, or to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Olive oil for drizzling, optional
- Working in batches, process the tomatoes, herbs, and scallion to a puree in a blender.
- If you plan on making this a hot soup, transfer each batch to a soup pot. Otherwise, transfer to a serving container to serve cold.
- Either way, add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- To serve hot, heat the soup gently until it comes to a rapid simmer. To serve cold, cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- Garnish each serving with the fresh herb of your choice; add a drizzle of good olive oil if you'd like.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 124Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 220mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 4gSugar: 18gProtein: 3g
Nutrition data is always an estimate depending on program used to calculate and exact products used. This is given for informational purposes only and accuracy cannot be guaranteed.
If you like this summer soup, you might also enjoy …
Here are lots more delicious vegan soups & stews.
Photos of tomato soup: Elena Veselova/Bigstock