Thanksgiving dinner without pumpkin pie is hard to imagine. But you need not wait for a holiday to enjoy this easy vegan pumpkin pie, which offers an option to use butternut squash. The pie goes down easy, so if you’re serving a bigger crowd, you can double the recipe to make two pies for little more effort as making one.
Truth be told, this pie is just as good made with butternut squash as it is with sugar pumpkin (to my mind, maybe better). Once the pumpkin or squash are baked, which you can do ahead of time, the pie comes together quickly.
Fresh (preferably) or canned pumpkin
The variation in the Notes section of the recipes gives you full permission to use canned pumpkin! Though it’s not quite as good as fresh, a shortcut pumpkin pie is better than no pumpkin pie at all.
Use organic canned pumpkin, which tends to be more flavorful than other commercial varieties.
Recipe adapted from Vegan Holiday Kitchen by Nava Atlas. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky, BittersweetBlog.com.
Explore more …
- Easy tofu recipes
- Silken tofu recipes — savory and sweet
- Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake with a Hint of Chocolate
- Vegan Pumpkin Pecan Pie
- An epic roundup of Thanksgiving recipes
- 2 cups firmly packed well-baked sugar pumpkin or butternut squash (see tips, as well as shortcut for using canned pumpkin in Notes)
- 12.3-ounce aseptic package firm silken tofu
- 2/3 cup natural granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 9-inch good-quality pie crust, preferably deep dish
- Vegan whipped topping, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Combine the pre-baked pumpkin or squash pulp in a food processor with the next four ingredients and process until velvety smooth.
- Pour the filling into the crust (if using a regular rather than deep-dish crust you may find you have a bit too much filling; if that’s the case, you can bake the excess in a ramekin or two).
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the mixture is set and the crust is golden. Let the pies cool completely to room temperature or chill. Cut into 6 or 8 wedges to serve. If you’d like, garnish with a dollop of vegan whipped topping.
For a major shortcut, use a 15- to 16-ounce can of pureed pumpkin. It’s not as good as fresh, but a shortcut pumpkin pie is better than no pumpkin pie at all! Use organic canned pumpkin, which tends to be more flavorful than other commercial varieties.
To make the prep for butternut squash or pumpkin much easier, see How to Cut Butternut Squash Easily ( and other hard squashes).
If you like this easy vegan pumpkin pie, you may also enjoy …
See lots more easy vegan desserts & sweets.