A longtime favorite in our family of broccoli enthusiasts, this vegan cream of broccoli soup gets its perfect texture from pureed white beans or tofu. Great year-round, this lighter soup is especially welcome in spring and fall and will please any vegetarian or plant-based food fan!
Choose between white beans or tofu: See the variations listed in the Notes section of the recipe box. The addition of green peas at the end of cooking time brightens the color and heightens the flavor of the soup.
What to serve with vegan cream of broccoli soup
- Serve with wraps — here you see a wrap made with leftover black rice, hummus, and leafy greens. Or, try these olive hummus wraps with greens and avocado.
- Or, serve with any favorite vegan sandwich. Try a vegan grilled cheese sandwich with tomato or tart apple between layers of cheese.
- Pair with a simple salad or slaw and fresh bread. Consider Crunchy and Colorful Cabbage and Apple Slaw.
Recipe adapted from Plant Power by Nava Atlas. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky, BittersweetBlog.com.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 32-ounce carton low-sodium vegetable broth
- 5 to 6 cups coarsely chopped broccoli, florets and peeled stem
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 15- to 16-ounce can great northern or cannellini beans
- 1 cup unsweetened nondairy milk, plus more as needed
To finish the soup
- 2 cups finely chopped broccoli florets
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill or parsley, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh or bottled), or more to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat the oil or broth in a soup pot and add the onion. Sauté over medium heat until translucent, then add the garlic. Continue to sauté until the onion is golden.
- Add the broth and broccoli. Bring to a slow boil, then cover and simmer gently until the broccoli is tender but not overcooked, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the beans and half of the green peas. Continue to cook just until everything is nicely heated through.
- The easiest way to puree this soup is to simply insert an immersion blender into the pot and puree until as smooth as you’d like it to be. You can also leave it a bit chunky. If you don’t have an immersion blender, transfer the mixture to a regular blender and puree (don’t over-process!), then transfer back to the soup pot. Add enough nondairy milk to give the soup a medium-thick consistency.
- To finish the soup, add the remaining green peas, the finely chopped broccoli florets, dill or parsley, and lemon juice. Stir together, then season with salt and pepper. Cook over very low heat for 5 minutes longer, or until the added broccoli florets are tender-crisp, then serve.
- Make this soup with cauliflower, or a combination of cauliflower and broccoli, following the same instruction as above.
- Use a 14-ounce tub of soft tofu in place of the white beans.
- Make it a cheesy broccoli soup by adding 1 to 1 1/2 cups meltable vegan cheese (then, obviously, don’t also serve with grilled cheese sandwiches!)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 262Total Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 302mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 13gSugar: 13gProtein: 12g
Nutrition data is always an estimate depending on program used to calculate and exact products used. This is given for informational purposes only and accuracy cannot be guaranteed.
If you like creamy vegetable soups, you might also enjoy …